A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 11th December 2019, 11:29 AM

Default How many hours labour should a timing belt/water pump change be on a 3.7 V8?

Hello!

Following the destruction of my D2 S8 gearbox about 4 months into ownership (boo hoo, it will live again!) I am looking for a cheap way back into shorter-term D2 ownership.

So question. How long should this job take to be done properly? I haven't priced the parts up yet, I'm just looking for an idea so I do not get ripped off. I know this is a four-figure job btw.

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 12th December 2019, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Blueeyes View Post
Hello!

Following the destruction of my D2 S8 gearbox about 4 months into ownership (boo hoo, it will live again!) I am looking for a cheap way back into shorter-term D2 ownership.

So question. How long should this job take to be done properly? I haven't priced the parts up yet, I'm just looking for an idea so I do not get ripped off. I know this is a four-figure job btw.
I think its possible to get the 'industry standard' time for this repair if you have Autodata or someone with access to it.. thats all i can chip in.
Old 13th December 2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I think its possible to get the 'industry standard' time for this repair if you have Autodata or someone with access to it.. thats all i can chip in.
From what I can find, 'industry standard' for the timing belt is 3.7 hours. The water pump shows 4.7 hours, which I believe is because the timing belt has to come off as well for that.

However, this does NOT include replacing anything else like tensioners or pulleys.

If there is anyone on here who could give a more accurate time, it's likely to be MJ, who can probably do it with her eyes closed.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th December 2019, 11:06 AM

Thanks both, looks like I've got what I need now

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 13th December 2019, 02:01 PM

Odd as it may seem, I've never done just a timing belt on a D2. Usually I take the engine & box out and do chain tensioners, oil leaks, and the plastic oil cooler pipe all together.

That said, if everything comes apart ok it should easily be done in a day. The most likely challenges would be seized bumper or front panel bolts - a bumper bolt can take half a day to solve on its own.

I'll be doing General Vod's belt and oil cooler pipe with the engine in after Christmas though so I will report back
Old 13th December 2019, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Odd as it may seem, I've never done just a timing belt on a D2. Usually I take the engine & box out and do chain tensioners, oil leaks, and the plastic oil cooler pipe all together.

That said, if everything comes apart ok it should easily be done in a day. The most likely challenges would be seized bumper or front panel bolts - a bumper bolt can take half a day to solve on its own.

I'll be doing General Vod's belt and oil cooler pipe with the engine in after Christmas though so I will report back
Are you on about the chains and sprockets underneath rocker covers? Is there even a service interval for those? I will ask my mechanic to inspect those as well when doing the belt on my 02 2.8
Old 13th December 2019, 06:59 PM

Yes, and no there is no service interval for them. Typically the nylon pads last around 100K, and they're the primary cause of catastrophic engine failure in the D2. I've seen failures from as little as 120k but my Murple is on the originals at 320k so ymmv, literally. At the very latest I would do them with the second timing belt.

Its a good half-day's work with the engine in after the front end and timing gear is off. Allow a day if you're not taking the front end off. Itsa two person job to get the inlet cams back in - one to hold the tensioner and one to slot the cam back in place.

These are the nylon pads: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Pad-Ti...K/252466154290

You also need 2x 077198217 which are the gaskets for the tensioners. I recommend removing the little gauze filter from the tensioner when it comes off as that is the primary cause of tensioner failure.

Have a read of Big Red's and Stephen's FE WITW threads - there's a chunk more detail on the job in those
Old 13th December 2019, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yes, and no there is no service interval for them. Typically the nylon pads last around 100K, and they're the primary cause of catastrophic engine failure in the D2. I've seen failures from as little as 120k but my Murple is on the originals at 320k so ymmv, literally. At the very latest I would do them with the second timing belt.

Its a good half-day's work with the engine in after the front end and timing gear is off. Allow a day if you're not taking the front end off. Itsa two person job to get the inlet cams back in - one to hold the tensioner and one to slot the cam back in place.

These are the nylon pads: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Pad-Ti...K/252466154290

You also need 2x 077198217 which are the gaskets for the tensioners. I recommend removing the little gauze filter from the tensioner when it comes off as that is the primary cause of tensioner failure.

Have a read of Big Red's and Stephen's FE WITW threads - there's a chunk more detail on the job in those
What about the chains themselves?
Also do you have any links to these threads? I cant find anything when searching for their nicks

Thank you very much for this you are a never ending source of knowledge for these cars!!

Last edited by Ronin; 13th December 2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 13th December 2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Also do you have any links to these threads? I cant find anything when searching for their nicks
Links are as follows, and a thoroughly good read, even if you're not mechanically minded, like me:

Stephen's - http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...light=workshop

Big Red - http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...light=workshop

There are several other threads in the series as well. Not sure if this will work, but try the following link:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/search.php?searchid=2872196

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 14th December 2019, 11:07 AM

I did all of these jobs last year with the engine still in the car. New full Camshaft chain adjuster units. Very expensive for the two, approx £1500 for the two plus £100 for 2 new chains, and that's just for parts. I know that we can just replace the pads but my pads were fine. The adjuster itself on the drivers side was not functioning correctly. It was extremely rettly until the engine warmed up. There is a theory that the detent pin that holds the tensioner in the start position fails and so the tensioner is free to rattle on first startup until engine oil pressure builds up. For me, the rattle was just unacceptable.

The most difficult and frustrating job I did at the same time (with the engine in place) was the plastic oil cooler pipe. Access is really tight. I generally enjoy working on my car but I hope I never have to do that job again.

I have no idea of how long the job took though I'm afraid. I never rush my repairs as its a bit of a hobby so I spread it over a few weekends.