A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 4th August 2013, 08:59 AM

Default Considering selling but worth it or right decision?

Hi all

Since buying my A8 at the end of last year it's been absolutely brilliant and without doubt the best car I've ever owned. However a very recent family holiday and with an expanding family it's proven to no longer be as practical as we need.

I've looked at roof bars as I originally intended to carry my bike to events and fitting a box would help with the space but I've not bought the bars yet and can't help think a box would just be a short term solution.

I really don't want to sell it as I've no idea what would be as much fun, as fast, as smooth or as comfortable (let alone rust free) for the age and money. In addition I'm not sure of its value and there will be no point in trying to sell if its dropped considerably when the values are low anyway.

Car is a 4.2 Quatttro Sport. 2002 model with 113k and FSH - mostly Audi. Tax end of Oct, MOT Nov.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Gaz
Old 4th August 2013, 09:04 AM

The most important question re the FSH - what has been done to the gearbox and especially the cam belt, water pump etc.? These are really/potentially "big ticket" items.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th August 2013, 05:04 PM

Look at the Thule roof bars. I've just got some for our D2 4.2 QS to take a bike box. But Thule also do some natty bike racks that dovetail into their roofbars.

The only two cars that are on my radar to replace mine are a D3 S8 or a full fat Range Rover 4.2 SC. Can't see anything else cutting it.
Old 4th August 2013, 10:07 PM

Try a D3 4.2Tdi....

You'll miss the noise, but not the pound notes being burned out the back... silly quick once you get used to the different change points.

I know.. I know..

Old 8th August 2013, 08:00 AM

Ref FSH - Except for the minor service done last year by the previous owner the car has always been serviced at Audi Main dealers. The Belts/water pump have definitely been done in that respect - paperwork and book to prove.

I don't think there is anything to say the Gearbox oil has been changed, but with the history of the car and the fact the gearbox works perfectly well i don't want to tempt fate by cracking it open and having it changed.

@Greg66 - I had a quick look at Thule and i'm sure they are the best ones i could get - do you know roughly how much the whole set up cost you? How do the bars fit? (Easy enough to fit and remove?)

To be honest i think a L322 SC range rover is my next car of choice as well. (Just a shame i can't afford one yet).

@PsYcHe - Cheers, although i only do very small amount of miles so i don't need the diesel.

Any recommendations on a roof box for the car and/or roof bars? I need to check how much i can realistically get in a box to see if its feasible to keep the car.
Old 12th August 2013, 12:18 AM

Fom memory, the whole lot was around £170-200. That's the bars, the mounts that clamp to the car and some locks.

We you get them there is some assembly required. Once that is done, and you've worked out where the clamps need to sit on the bars in order to sit on the roof, fitting them to the car is a quick and easy job.