A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 24th November 2013, 04:13 AM

Default Just acquired VCDS - Help!

I've just entered the wonderful world of VCDS. I decided to get the genuine Ross-tech interface as I did not want any issues that could arise from an ebay item. Having now got it I realize ther is a lot to learn. Are there any tutorials available, either hard copy or on the internet? I definitely need help (ask my psychiatrist) but please remember I am totally geekless; in other words I know nowt about these computer thingies.

Ta

Steve
Old 24th November 2013, 02:02 PM

Youtube has many videos on how to use it and ross tech site has lots of info

Old 24th November 2013, 05:24 PM

Technically, you will be able to connect to any module of your car and then you have to know what to do in each module. Knowing what to do in each module is something outside of scope of Ross tech knowledge as there are many modules ftom a variety of manufacturers. Things like adaptation, coding measured value blocks, etc. for each module are documented in ELSA. Ross tech has wiki pages but they are not complete.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:23 PM

Thanks guys. I've had a look at the Ross-tech wiki and whilst there is some very useful information on there I can honestly say I don't understand most of it. I need to find out exactly what measuring blocks are, for example. Once I understand the basics I can then start to make headway with more complex procedures.

The problems I have at the moment are the steering slip ring needs calibrating and the ABS control unit needs coding. I found the procedure for doing this but don't really understand it. I don't want to start putting in the wrong information and end up totally immobilising my car.
Old 25th November 2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Technically, you will be able to connect to any module of your car and then you have to know what to do in each module. Knowing what to do in each module is something outside of scope of Ross tech knowledge as there are many modules ftom a variety of manufacturers. Things like adaptation, coding measured value blocks, etc. for each module are documented in ELSA. Ross tech has wiki pages but they are not complete.
Where in elsa can one find info for coding, adaptation etc?

Old 25th November 2013, 02:20 PM

This information is spread all over ELSA. For instance, to know about instrument cluster you open "dash panel insert" in electrical "self diagnostics" section and read about coding, adaptation channels, etc. Data varies by manufacturing year.
Old 26th November 2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandycoot View Post
Thanks guys. I've had a look at the Ross-tech wiki and whilst there is some very useful information on there I can honestly say I don't understand most of it. I need to find out exactly what measuring blocks are, for example. Once I understand the basics I can then start to make headway with more complex procedures.

The problems I have at the moment are the steering slip ring needs calibrating and the ABS control unit needs coding. I found the procedure for doing this but don't really understand it. I don't want to start putting in the wrong information and end up totally immobilising my car.
Hi
I could write you a text version if you really need it with step by step instructions if you really can't do/understand it.

Also if you lift your spare wheel floor cover and get the picture of a white sticker with all the info I could start with login and coding for your car which is essential for abs coding.
Are you sure ABS needs coding??
You may go away with steering angle sensor calibration, which is very easy it self, but for some users it takes many attempts to even having logging accepted but to put your self off because of that.

I found lowering suspension on D3 A8s almost consistent but, I've had cars which took few hours to do it and one which had only 22 instead of 55 coding accepted and didn't want to go another 5mm lower.
Cars like ours with soooooooo much electronics are really different, not always and not completely, but they can behave differently.

Again, don't put your self off, everything gets done, sometimes you just need to do extra thing or two.

Ideally get Auto Scan done and save it, location is your system partition if not changed, then Ross tech folder and then logs folder, and dont copy and paste text into reply window, just attach it as a txt document to your reply.

We could start from there to see what really bother you brakes/abs/steering wise.

Get the picture of that label and all possible info about the car, but not stuff such as colour of your leather

Speak to you soon mate

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 26th November 2013, 12:46 PM

I've just downloaded from the Ross-Tech website a 76 page manual that covers, from what I can see, pretty much everything. I'll spend the next day or two reading this then I'll have a bash at fixing something. Wish me luck.
Old 26th November 2013, 01:54 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Hee, hee. I did that for David and I last week. Cured my insomnia instantly!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).