A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 2nd March 2016, 12:31 PM

Surely that can only be the seals at the top of the front or rear screens?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd March 2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
one of the corby guys said they found a pinhole on a car once, under the water guides/roof rack areas, and over time it had widened and was the cause of a lot of problems on an A8
Well this could be a problem too. There is no water at all in the front so it would have to be the back screen if any.
Old 2nd March 2016, 02:59 PM

Just checked boot. Damp again in exactly the same place. Just need to take trim off now and get hose out to see where the "hole" is... To say I'm disappointed and infuriated is an understatement.
Old 4th March 2016, 07:45 PM

I have condensation which appears at the bottom of the rear screen passenger side but I'm pretty sure it is due to defective seal in the corner at top of the screen on that side. Been meaning to try some silicone screen sealant but never gets into the boot to have been a big issue for me so far.
Jem
Old 5th March 2016, 07:08 PM

Yeah. I think that's where mine has gone after seeing it gushing in three times in the past week. It's going into Audi next week for a full water ingress check. They're going to fix the parking sensor at the same time. I fully expect them to say that it's the rear screen seal. Hopefully they can get the original screen out and back in without any damage to the glass.
Old 7th March 2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
Yeah. I think that's where mine has gone after seeing it gushing in three times in the past week. It's going into Audi next week for a full water ingress check. They're going to fix the parking sensor at the same time. I fully expect them to say that it's the rear screen seal. Hopefully they can get the original screen out and back in without any damage to the glass.
hmmm, keep us posted on what audi say (and charge) for this as I would be interested in getting them to look at mine as well. I was resistant to having the rear screen taken out by a mobile glass place, but might be tempted (even if its the same people) if it can be 100% solved by audi and kept in a workshop
Old 7th March 2016, 05:06 PM

Well the soak test is 3-5 days, in which time they will strip headlining and all required interior trim off and dry out and also fix the parking sensor. Courtesy car for the 3-5 days FOC and that's £350. Repairs of leak/s will be on top of that. So I guess then, the cost of a screen remove/refit (if they will entertain that without quoting me for new glass - which I will vehemently argue against. There is nothing wrong with the glass, just the sh1tty sealant used to stick it in), or if it's NOT the screen, then sealant/rivet/welding or whatever to fix the hole that obviously shouldn't be there. We will see.
Old 10th March 2016, 07:07 AM

wow, yesterday was a bad rain day, loads of flooding around this neck of the woods, so checked on the car and the condensation was there again, not much more than usual, so went into the rear seats and felt the headlining, everything is dry from the top of the roof down to about 90% of the way down and then it gets wet, not soaking, but enough to feel it.

I am thinking of taking the C pillar covers off when I am back from working away in two weeks and seeing if I can isolate the leak, by contrast to yourself, my boot floor and inside the boot is completely dry, so its got to be a window seal, I recon a break in the seal about 3/4 of the way down on the right side.

How did yours fare yesterday?
Old 10th March 2016, 10:43 AM

Not well. Despite putting a carrier bag with a bath towel on top of the parcel shelf where it pours in, it still got the headlining, c pillar cover and parcel shelf noticeably wet. I think some of it did make its way into the boot area, but not as much thanks to the carrier bag.

Where it did go though is down the back of the seats, so all the back of the drivers side rear seat is soaked and this time I also noticed some damp on the base of the passenger side c pillar/parcel shelf. Either the water has tracked along the back panel under the parcel shelf (doubtful as the middle was bone dry) or the screen is beginning to weep/leak that side too. If it is the screen, then it seems to have been compromised all along the top edge. Grrrrr !!

I'm just waiting to close the rear door one day and the pressure pops the screen out onto the boot.

Fortunately it's only got to last another 4 days and it's going in. Let's hope the weather is kind to us.
Old 14th March 2016, 09:35 AM

I do get a small amount of condensation on my rear glass, as said earlier my window seal and interior is dry so I don't think they are the cause. Yesterday however I noticed that the weather strip around the boot doesn't have a very good seal between parts (joint A left and right, and centre joint B) and I'm wondering if this could be an ingress? Although there's no visible water anywhere. If I can next weekend I'll remove the weather strips and see what's what behind them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot weather trim.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	12688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weather Strip.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	12689  

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Tags