A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 27th April 2016, 06:59 AM

Very nice - glad you had it done certainly sounds the part.

Factory: finger print, tv, xenons, keyless entry & go, soft close boot, 19s, and probably lots more besides

Done: fixed headlight washer leak, fit Bluetooth in place of factory phone

To do: DAB, DTV, fix soft close boot, get a spare key, investigate NSF bushes,
Old 19th October 2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Interesting side story to the work I had done on Monday...
...He asked how I was getting home, walking was my intention, so he offered me his Q7, which I duly accepted. Six hours later I go to collect the S8 having given the Q7 a wash and a once over and find I've been given a tidy little discount on the work done, great result all round and an example of how business should be done
Wow. Couldn't agree more.
Considering the size (population) and income level of these States (even Nashville, Tennessee), the lack of honest - or at least competent - Euro-import repair shops continues to amaze me. Then again, everyone drives either some godawful pickup, Escalade, Lexus/nissan/toyota-type-appliance, copycat-car Hyundai, or honduh (I cannot bring myself to capitalize it).
Each weekday I drive my (13 Y/O) son eleven miles each way to school (going away from Nashville, so against some fairly heavy suburban traffic) and he points out every interesting car he sees - an average day nets about six Audis, one or two beautiful new Jags, a Gallardo, Ferrari, or Bentley every couple days (at least three huge droptops live around the commute zone), and three or four Teslas a day (!). A8s are rare; there are two black D4s and two silver D3s we see almost daily (the male drivers wave, the females don't), I've never seen a D3 S8 except in Nashville (we live ~18 miles north of it).

Your car looks and sounds great! The new tips are oval, right? The rolled ends look very tidy and correct.

Love the "Cherished" plates! You're a pharmacist I take it?

I've a good friend who had "IRX4U" but then got old and paranoid (she was an attractive girl with the keys to a drugstore, so...). My daughter's godfather was a Pharm.D., he wanted "DRFLGUD" but never did it... he's too cheap.
I'm torn between "ATOMIC" (current) and "A8TOMIC" (or 8TOMIC). A8L is available believe it or not. My son's godfather just got "V10" on his M5 - could not believe it wasn't taken!
In TN "Vanity" or "Personalized" plates cost +$70 the first year (so $250 in my county, which has among the highest city & county taxes but great roads, cops, and other services) and +$35 a year renewal. It's mainly a problem if one has "too many cars"...

Guess I should've started a new thread with all my rambling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
How many points have you offered him?
I figured he just slipped a couple of "Easin' Pills" (as the old hillbillies around here call them) into the mechanic's beverage Everything went muuuuch more smoooothly...

-Tom
Old 19th October 2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTOMic View Post

Your car looks and sounds great! The new tips are oval, right? The rolled ends look very tidy and correct.

Love the "Cherished" plates! You're a pharmacist I take it?
Cheers Tom, they are oval and are as close to OEM as I could get, I'm very happy with how they look.

Quite a coincidence that you should comment on this today, my car is back at that garage for the first time since the exhaust was modified, just for MOT, but I've been told it's failed on excessive wear on the upper suspension arms with advisories on the lower arms, so I'm having them all done while it's there. My recent "wheel windfall" has quickly been wiped out by this and the rear light cluster failure but it's an S8, it's what they do.

I chuckled at your cherished plate comment, I've been mistaken for a pharmacist, but not the law abiding, legal type. My forename and surname initial is R, I just tell anyone that asks that I've added a middle name of Xavier by deed poll. It's as good as I could find after I bought the car and was looking for something relevant. It also serves the purpose of hiding the age of the car from anyone but those who know what it is, which isn't many in my experience.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra