A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 25th June 2017, 11:10 AM

Default renewing seat switches

Not long after i got my car the switch that controls the backrest etc on my driver's seat "mysteriously" got broken, i.e: kicked off by the phantom nobody. With a lot of fiddling with the broken switch I was able to get it into a comfortable position and I began my search for a replacement.

It seems incredibly difficult to find a driver side door switch assembly, loads of passenger side ones and the occasional driver side but with the massage button which my seat doesn't have.

I eventually found one this morning and snapped it up. Is it a pretty straight forward plug and play affair to replace it or am I going to need to program it, reset airbags and all that nonsense?

thanks, gill
Old 25th June 2017, 08:47 PM

Plug & Play but if you have to disconnect the airbag wiring in the process, it will throw an airbag warning light that will have to reset.
Disconnect the battery before you start for safety because of the airbag.
Old 25th June 2017, 11:38 PM

good news, thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 02:07 PM

I read up a few things on various forums regarding this job. All said that the seat needed to be removed in order to get to the torx screws holding the seat side panel trim on. This is nonsense, simply lift the seat to its maximum height and the screws are all easy to get to. The job took maybe 15 minutes start to finish, except for the rear most screw which was awkward to get to, the screw kept falling off before I could get it in the hole. Ended up superglue-ing it to the torx bit then it was easy to break the bond to remove the tool once the screw was done up.

It's good to be able to adjust my seat now! Only thing is that the bottom-rear-down switch isn't great but being a big guy its always fully down anyway. It also looks so much better than the broken missing switch!

gill