A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 31st December 2017, 04:56 PM

Default AMI with Tune2Air wakes itself off and battery drains...

Hi all. I installed the AMI 3 years ago, and use it with a Tune2Air Bluetooth interface. This has become a bit more troublesome of late. The AMI powers the Tune2Air, and even when the car is off and locked will occasionally power up and the Tune2Air connects to my phone while I’m sat in the house.

It has always done this a bit, but of late seems to do it more and be less reliable with my iPhone.

I’m not sure if waking up and connecting issue lies with the AMI, or the Tune2Air... My gut says the AMI should be off and not power the Tune2Air...

The reliability could be the Tune2Air or even my new iPhone....

It’s concerning because of late my battery has been wearing down quickly between using the car, and got to the point were it wouldn’t turn the engine over. I have some dicky keyless door handles too, so I’m not sure what issue is causing what... (I did have my Bosch S5 replaced under warranty - 699 CCA and 12.29 volts a day after driving 200 miles).

Since having the battery replaced the engine turns over much quicker and starts fine.

Has anyone had similar issues? Any input would be great.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.

Last edited by Johnmed; 31st December 2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 1st January 2018, 11:42 AM

Hello John , I’m just wondering here if its the keyless entry system causing this , because when the faulty door handles trigger this partially powers up the body control and I’m wondering if it’s this wake up call is setting the Bluetooth off in its wake up procedure .

I know it’s raining all the time just now but would you say it worse when the cars wet .....the wet handles tend to trigger off more .

I did a post on the handles some time ago ...iirc is there a fuse on the passenger side end of dash board which dissables the KESSY , bit of an arse but you could pull that fuse and manually use the key to get in and out of the car just to see if the blue tooth then starts to behave itself.

On my he a8 I had , I had trouble with the handles , i put a shunt across the battery and left our scope monitoring over 24 hour time base ..in the wet throughout the night the car would wake up and go back to sleep up to 30 times a night ......every wake up iirc was about a 6amp drain for 3 or 4 mins at a time , in most cases the cars battery monitoring would kick in and turn the circuits off for battery preservation...... you would get the quiicent current fault codes in battery regulation .

Go to be worth a try
Old 1st January 2018, 11:53 AM

Thanks Lee.

That’s exactly what I had hoped was possible, to bypass KESSY. I hadn’t thought it logical to assume that could wake the AMI.

I’ll definitely try and pull that fuse.

Thanks as ever for your input.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Last edited by Johnmed; 1st January 2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:46 PM

Found two possible fuses.

15) E408 access/start authorisation button

42) J518 Access/start control module

Will give it a whirl in a sec.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 1st January 2018, 01:59 PM

Ok. Weird. Found the above locations on a Bentley Manual PDF of fuse locations.

Fuse location 42, J158 when removed the engine dies, dead, car ignition won’t function with key in barrel or with the start button.

Location 15, E408, was actually empty...... I thought it may have been a blank, but there are pins there, so I’ve put a fuse in.

More confused now��

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 1st January 2018, 05:49 PM

What does it say they are on the card that is on the fuse box cover
Old 1st January 2018, 06:45 PM

This is nearside Lee. Offside fuses didn’t have anything that looked relevant at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C0E4922-7F40-4EAE-AEE4-A4FF4ECC9202.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	17676  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 2nd January 2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Has anyone had similar issues? Any input would be great.
I have exactly the same issues as you, 2 dodgy door handles and a Bluetooth MMI 3G cable that seems to be on all of the time.

I installed a new battery last year but I can see the impact of constant power drain returning already. I have disconnected the lead for the time being and that has helped and a squirt of WD40 every now and then on the handles also helps but both are not long term solutions.

I find that locking/unlocking via the remote key and not using the keyless systems at all also helps, without removing fuses.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
I have exactly the same issues as you, 2 dodgy door handles and a Bluetooth MMI 3G cable that seems to be on all of the time.

I installed a new battery last year but I can see the impact of constant power drain returning already. I have disconnected the lead for the time being and that has helped and a squirt of WD40 every now and then on the handles also helps but both are not long term solutions.

I find that locking/unlocking via the remote key and not using the keyless systems at all also helps, without removing fuses.
Oh dear, what a pain. Do you plan to replace your door handles? I have bought one so far, but with a small garage full of stuff I’m planning to put off replacing them until the weather is nicer. Getting the handles bought and sprayed is annoying me, especially when you see how easily the same issue is rectified on the D4...

2007 Mini Cooper S R56