A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Lights

D4 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 27th December 2015, 12:03 AM

Default Adaptive functionality on LED headlights not working

Evening forummers,

This function hasn't worked since we got the car a few months ago. The high beam assist works fine but the adaptive feature doesn't seem to - well not as I expect it would when compared to our F10 5 series where the headlights are constantly focussing the beam to avoid cars ahead or oncoming.

There are no faults showing on the dash. Is there an easy check on where the fault may lie as I would really value having this feature again?

Cheers,
Simon
Old 27th December 2015, 11:21 AM

Default How adaptive is adaptive?

I haven't spent much time in a LED headlight equipped car of your vintage, however I own a similar aged D4 with adaptive xenon's and have spent several months in a 2015 with matrix LED, both of which adapt in slightly different ways.

Looking at the SSP459 document in this post it seems that the first generation LED's may have less variance of beam pattern than the 'Xenon plus with adaptive headlights and "infinitely variable beam"' my car is fitted with, which sound very similar to your BMW experience?

Have a read of the document, it may help you to understand if they are actually working as designed or not?

The second generation of LED headlights, with matrix beam technology had pro's and cons. The big positive is it's ability to dim sections of the headlight in the centre of a beam spread (which can't be achieved with the Xenon's), the down side is that the light had a jagged or fresnel effect where the beams meet, I found that a little distracting at times and it was more pronounced with full beam on.

One final thing, in both cars you have to activate the adaptive functions - single push on the full beam leaver (away from steering wheel) activates the "adaptive headlight range control" and a second and subsequent push toggles full beam on and off?
Old 28th December 2015, 10:45 PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the great post. I read the manuals you linked to and re-checked my settings and still no go The MMI has two options - one is for the high beam assist and the other adaptive lights. Both are set to on. The high beam assist works flawlessly but the adaptive does nothing.

I find the lights on low beam a bit short a lot of the time, the LED's control the light so tightly that there is no scatter at all. Thats the main reason I am missing the adaptive feature.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 29th December 2015, 12:15 AM

Hi Simon,

I had a play today, with VCDS I could move and focus the xenon lights on my car, I wonder if there is a similar output test for the LEDs in yours?

Paul
Old 29th December 2015, 06:05 PM

Not sure Paul, I dont have a cable but a mate does. We just haven't got around to plugging it in yet.

Should me lights do some auto level thing on start up as I haven't noticed that if so?

Cheers
Old 30th December 2015, 04:17 AM

xenon ones definitely do when you first start car
not sure about l.e.d versions
Old 30th December 2015, 10:04 AM

Assuming they work the same way as my a7, then they dont do the same sweep up as xenons. And you probably have the adaptive lights that simply light up corners when you turn or put the indicator on.

I know.. I know..

Old 30th December 2015, 11:37 AM

Thanks Psyche, you may very well be correct on both points. I haven't noticed them lighting corners actively either but will take more notice.

I was spoilt by the adaptive Xenons on the M5, those worked brilliantly.
Old 3rd January 2016, 12:06 PM

Sounds like you have the same leds fitted as mine my cars a 2013 model what year is yours?
They only bought out the matrix lights after that which adapted to oncoming lights and so on, from what i can remember they came out with the slight changes to the bonnet line around mid 2014 .The adaptive lights on my car are merely as mentioned cornering function and high beam, if you look at the newer cars they have a different led unit fitted which is the matrix style lights. The very latest ones have this new sweep indicator thingy too.
I have been considering changing my car this year so have been looking at all these things again!

Hope this helps ?
Cheers
Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 4th January 2016, 12:35 AM

Hi Glyn,

My car is a MY2011 so your comments would seem to confirm that I am out of luck on the adaptive functionality. Makes me wonder why somebody would option them for £2k and lose the proper adaptive functionality of the Xenons, seems like you pay more for less to me.

Cheers,
Simon