A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 13th March 2016, 06:47 PM

Default Audi A8 D3 fuse for dashcam

Hi,

I have just bought myself a new dash cam and it works a treat. At the moment, it's plugged into the cigarette lighter and i want hardwire it in and conceal the wiring.

With that in mind, i've bought an 'add-a-fuse' adapter and i wanted to check the following:

- Which side do people tend to piggy-back a fuse from...the left fuse box or right?

- Can anyone identify a preferred fuse number they've used that ensures the power is off with the ignition out and the power is on the moment you turn for the dash lights to come on?

Many thanks,

Oli

Left fuse box:

Right fuse box:

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 15th March 2016, 10:38 AM

Left fuse box.
Second column from the left.
Larger fuses.
Iirc it is the 5 amp fuse on it's own.

I suggest that you try it with a bulb to load the circuit. I was fooled for a while because I was using a voltmeter that does not take much current.

Note that mine is instant hot, but there is a delay on switching off.

The metal frame is at earth potential so I used a connector on one of the mounting screws.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 15th March 2016, 09:04 PM

I used the near side fuse box. Position 39 (door control unit) for switched live and position 33 (Left rear footwell heater) for permanent live. I recall there was no shortage of switched lives (going cold as soon as ignition was switched off).
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 16th March 2016, 07:01 PM

Thanks chaps

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Old 18th March 2016, 09:16 PM

Hi again,

So i've got a bit of a question on electrics as i'm not an expert so here goes.

So i used a step-down 12v to 5v 3A power supply module. I wired it to my add-a-fuse...

...earthed it and plugged the positive part of the add-a-fuse into the following slot...

Now i'm able to use my Dashcam and it powers up as it should.

Unfortunately, my iphone won't seem to charge. It won't even say 'accessory not identified' or anything.

Just wanted to check if anyone had any idea on how i might get phone charging to work?

Thanks,

Oliver

Old 25th January 2018, 11:11 PM

Which of the mini blade fuses is best used for always on 12V on the left fuse box? My dashcam is currently plugged in fuse 18 for the heated washer jets which come on with the iginition at the moment... would be great to have the parking feature on.

Currently:
2015 Audi A8 4H Sport Executive Quattro in Monsoon Grey