A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 28th December 2017, 06:00 AM

Default Cooling system warning

So I topped the coolant up yesterday but only with water? Same as I have done with pretty much every car I've had. But upon starting the a8 this morning the coolant system warning light comes on.

Is this because I have used water or just complete coincidence?

TIA
Old 28th December 2017, 08:40 AM

The cooling system is sealed, if you are having to add water then it has a leak.

Adding just water is not recommended as you are constantly diluting the anti-freeze solution, you should add a pre mixed to the correct ratio anti-freeze and water mix. The anti-freeze must be the correct type type, not sure on what is used on the D2, but if you mix the traditional blue glycol based anti-freeze into a car which uses G12, G13 or one one of its derivatives then the chemical reaction will sludge the coolant.

The warning light coming on is quiet common on the VW group cars, the sensor in the header tank gets gunked up and triggers false alarms. Sometimes just turning the engine off and on again is enough to clear the fault. Ultimately replacement of the header tank is the only way forward.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 28th December 2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 28th December 2017, 09:20 AM

To add to Manny's already thorough answer - the reservoirs can develop a crack and therefore a leak around the outlet pipe at the bottom edge where the coolant take off pipe goes off towards the engine - then that lets enough out for the warning to trigger as well

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 28th December 2017, 09:34 AM

Not gonna lie was only just below the max line and I though, why not just top it up.

Wish I'd left it now!

Will check for leaks but seems more than coincidence since I've touched it it's now got a problem!

I guess I should use g12 coolant?
Old 28th December 2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
To add to Manny's already thorough answer - the reservoirs can develop a crack and therefore a leak around the outlet pipe at the bottom edge where the coolant take off pipe goes off towards the engine - then that lets enough out for the warning to trigger as well

Thanks, will get her home and check it out
Old 28th December 2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linea_rossa View Post
Not gonna lie was only just below the max line and I though, why not just top it up.

Wish I'd left it now!
Was it hot or cold at the time?
Old 28th December 2017, 10:35 PM

All sorted!
Thank you all for the help
Old 28th December 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Was it hot or cold at the time?
Just getting back to where Paul was heading with this - the 'Max' mark on the reservoir is the hot level. The 'Min' mark (just under the lip of the reservoir top) is the cold level. When cold, if it's at the lower mark it doesn't require filling.

Correct coolant is G12, which has been superceded by G12+ (or ++). All are compatible with each other.
Don't mix G13 (new standard) with G12.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)