A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 30th April 2014, 10:45 PM

That unit is very similar between D2 and D3 and incorporates the auxiliary water pump, which has a habit of failing and getting very noisy.
On both my D2's I've had to disconnect power to it as the noise got excessive, BUT the heating still works though takes a little longer to warm up in the cabin.

However, the main point of this is that the pump also drives the circuit for the "Rest" heating function, which I have never ever found a use for.

BUT it's worth testing - get the engine warm, turn off ignition and then try the Rest heater. The HVAC should start up; see if it's warm or cold in that scenario.

As noted above, it's a bit of a mission to change the unit (and expensive) so you do need to be sure that's absolutely necessary.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 30th April 2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 30th April 2014, 10:47 PM
Banned

In that case. The same as mine ..

hmmm the ebay one could do with some extra pictures really ...

When im next at the pc not on my mobile il have a look on elsa win for you and check there the same ... not sure if Quad zone climate v duel climate makes s difference or not
Old 30th April 2014, 10:50 PM
Banned

The D3 dosent have a rest function .. but I think maybe turning it on while the ignition is off serves the same purpose ?
Old 30th April 2014, 10:51 PM

If you can, I guess it does. RTFM?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th April 2014, 11:01 PM

No rest function detailed in the handbook and fuses look all good for the HVAC.
Old 9th May 2014, 02:35 PM

Right then, heater control valve ordered and arrived from eBay.

I see the current one in the car by the ECU to the right and back of the engine bay under the windscreen.

Has anyone got a guide or point me towards anything as I would like to avoid any headaches if possible. Also the wires from the ECU foul it, any headaches if these get disconnected during the swap?
Old 9th May 2014, 03:45 PM

Well scrap that idea for the weekend.

Looking at the part that has arrived its been damaged in transit and the main motor/ pump has split and broken off from the rest!
Old 10th May 2014, 09:58 AM
Banned

Ohhh no thats not good ... hopefully you can get a replacement sorted.

When im at the workshop next il look on the pc on etka for you and see if I can get a diagram
Old 23rd August 2014, 04:22 PM

Right then,

Finally got another Water Pump & Valves of ebay as a tested and working unit and spent a couple of hours today swapping it over.

Its a fiddly job and there really is not much room to remove/ put back all the pipes onto it.

Anyway all changed......

..... and it made no difference at all!

Now either both the water pumps and valves I have are faulty or its something else that is causing the problem
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:08 PM

Hmmmmmmm have I missed the obvious and not changed the thermostat?

They are next to nothing for the part, much of a headache to change on the v8?