A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 13th December 2016, 01:43 PM

Question A8 d3 dipped beam lights

HI EVERYONE, IM NEW TO THIS FORUM.

HAD MY A8 D3 FOR A YEAR NOW. EXCEPTIONAL MOTOR HAS GIVEN ME NO ISSUES AT ALL. FANTASTIC TO DRIVE AFTER A REMAP 275 BHP. BOUGHT IT FOR 10K WITH 58000 MILES. ITS A SPORT AND IN BLACK WITH 20 INCH ALLOYS CREAM LEATHER. SEEEMED A BARGAIN AND SO FAR HAS PROVEN TO BE ONE.

MY DIPPED BEAM IS GOING AND IS AN ORANGE COLOUR NOW. APPARENTLY ITS A 6000 BULB AND I HAVE BEEN QUOTED 112 QUID PLUS BLOODY VAT. AM I MISSING SOMETHING OR IS THAT THE NORM FOR THIS CAR.

ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO ACCESS THE BULB?? DOESNT SEEM TO BE STRAIGHTFORWARD PROCEDURE
Old 13th December 2016, 02:54 PM

Hi. Please refrain from using caps all the time, it is considered as shouting.

I am guessing it is a Xenon bulb you are after? Who quoted this price? You can definitely get them cheaper than that
Old 13th December 2016, 04:51 PM

What engine A8? I'm guessing 3.0-litre TDI? You can buy the xenon bulb for a relatively low price and fit it yourself in that engine bay if you have quite small hands, simply by accessing the back of the headlamp unit, if not you will find it easier removing the wheelarch liner on whichever side it is, but of course it is always a good idea to replace in pairs.

You shouldn't be paying anyone £112 to change a bulb on these cars!
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 24th December 2016, 03:59 PM

£112 for a pair of good quality (Osram or Philips) bulbs with OEM colour is roughly a normal price.

Anything less would be either a cheap knockoff of the name brand or generally cheap and won't be as good.

I can get you a set of genuine Osram night breakers or Philips for about that price.
You just got to fit them yourself.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 25th December 2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD3 View Post
£112 for a pair of good quality (Osram or Philips) bulbs with OEM colour is roughly a normal price.

Anything less would be either a cheap knockoff of the name brand or generally cheap and won't be as good.

I can get you a set of genuine Osram night breakers or Philips for about that price.
You just got to fit them yourself.
Set yes, but from reading the OP it seems like they were quoted that for one bulb. I may have mis-read it though.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d2s...=car&end=front
Old 25th December 2016, 07:27 PM

Let's make one thing clear in case you are new to xenon market.
Cansidering this technology which has been invented in 1940s and introduced by Osram for the first time in 1951 and first car to have then fitted was a BMW 7 series in 1991, these bulbs are still fairly expensive comparing to halogen.
But xenon has a much better light output than halogen and twice the lifespan of halogen under normal conditions nsition. Halogen 1000hours where xenon 2000hours.
So, anything around 110quid it's a normal/good price with a better spec set costing around 150+
Anything significantly cheaper even if advertised as genuine and having hologram on the box is 90% fake. Fakers over the years went to trouble even if printing genuine part numbers on parts same as printing holograms on the packaging. Various TV channels has covered this wide spread fake business extensively over the years so if it's seem to good to be tru it bloody is.

Autobulbs direct it's a trusted and all round best priced and safe place to buy xenon.
I have spoke to osram uk and they have confirmed this website/business as one of their main and approved supplier. They have also offered me to send any osram product purchased from them for a verification if genuinity of I'm in doubt.

If this is the price you have been quoted by audi for a set not single bulb then price is right.

I'd like to say welcome to the A8 world, but unfortunately anyone owning a car with xenon lights have to face this price tag.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten

Last edited by M-A8; 25th December 2016 at 07:29 PM.