A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 2nd September 2016, 11:58 AM

Default Handbrake fault traced to switch. Anybody had this failure?

The handbrake refused to disengage on our 2011 A8 a couple of weeks back so I have been managing without. Made it into my local garage yesterday for diagnosis and the computer flagged the switch as the faulty component. Anybody had this and replaced the switch themselves?

I have looked for a replacement online but didnt find much, have emailed the site hosts to see what they have.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 2nd September 2016, 02:34 PM

When I bought my car (main dealer, approved used) it was a week late in delivery as they had to replace the handbrake switch! Suspect it is a common fault, no idea on replacement cost or procedure as it was just before my time!
Old 2nd September 2016, 06:23 PM

My 2011 D4 hasn't had any issue with the switch yet ! Touch Wood.
My D3 however had every component of the electric handbrake replaced over the years.
I replaced the switch myself and it was just plug & play, cost about €30 from memory. It took about 30mins but most of the time was in removing all the surrounding trim and mmi control unit to access the switch.
Old 9th September 2016, 10:44 AM

Found a switch through our forum host for £66 and PN4H2927225B so have ordered that. Cannot find anything online like a DIY replacement guide so will probably chicken out and have my local do it.

Interestingly the handbrake engages automatically I have noticed. Could the ECU really decode that the switch is the problem and therefore apply the PB automatically?

Cheers