A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 6th March 2017, 07:31 PM

How is the ride? I'd change dampers on feel rather than mileage or age. If the ride and body control are still good and it doesn't feel bouncy or unsettled over rough stuff and there are no visible leaks then leave them alone. The fronts from mine were still in very good condition at 110K when I replaced them with Bilsteins.

I'd only change springs if they're broken, and then do axle pairs as necessary unless lowering something on purpose.
Old 6th March 2017, 10:52 PM

The ride to me feels fine, but then I'm not throwing it round corners all the time or pushing it. It was just with having to replace the rest of the front suspension, I was wondering if the sensible thing would be to replace the shocks and springs while I'm at it.

I live down quite a long lane which is riddled with potholes, so it's a bit of a slalom course, and the car takes it in its stride, even on bits I do 30mph on. The car has roughly 88,500 miles on it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 7th March 2017, 09:28 AM

I'd leave them alone then. They're easy to change independently of the suspension arms if you do need to do it in the future.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:25 AM

Cheers MJ.

Will get the car up to a proper mechanic (not me and my bricklayer brother) to do the suspension kit, and I'll still have a month before the MOT to see how it feels and drives... and for the piggy bank time to recover

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 20th April 2017, 08:11 PM

Just following up on this thread. I did post in another thread (Front arms saga) on 11th April, so have reproduced it below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Currently have my D2 going through the same operation. Got an entire Meyle kit off eBay for £150 and left it with the mechanic last night. After spending the day on it, he calls me just after 5pm and asks if he knows anyone breaking an A8, as the top pinch bolt won't budge. They tried hammers, heat and drills, but still no joy... and this is only the drivers side. Luckily, managed to find A8parts with one available, so ordered it. That was around 6pm, after much scouring of the web and breakers. Won't be posted until tomorrow and the car is up for the MOT on Thursday evening. Nothing like cutting things fine. Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed that he can get it done in time.
Turns out fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed weren't enough. Despite A8parts shipping the part first thing on the 12th, it never reached Coventry on time to be shipped across. ParcelForce then didn't do any deliveries from Thursday to Monday, so mechanic never got hub assembly until Tuesday morning, somewhat late for the MOT (the previous Thursday). By the time I found out about these delays, I couldn't change the MOT date, so lost the £30.50

Anyway, he finally got the work done and I got the car back last night, and had it up for its MOT this afternoon, which it passed with flying colours. Not even any advisories.

So, all in, it cost me £150 for the full Meyle kit, £130 for the hub assembly, £61 in MOT charges and £120 in labour. Can't really complain at that, as the Meyle kit costs around the £450 mark.

And to finish on a high note, a big thumbs up for LPG conversions. When he did the emissions test, it recorded 0.000% Vol for CO (has to be 3.5% or less) and 18ppm for HC (has to be 1200ppm or less) Driving a V8 and saving the environment at the same time.

Old 21st April 2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
And to finish on a high note, a big thumbs up for LPG conversions. When he did the emissions test, it recorded 0.000% Vol for CO (has to be 3.5% or less) and 18ppm for HC (has to be 1200ppm or less) Driving a V8 and saving the environment at the same time.
. . . And yet still the UK government gives no benefit for the congestion charge in London any more for LPG fuelled cars despite the super low emissions - boo hiss

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd April 2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
When he did the emissions test, it recorded 0.000% Vol for CO (has to be 3.5% or less) and 18ppm for HC (has to be 1200ppm or less)
Are the rules different there? It's 0.2% CO and 200ppm HC fast idle and 0.3% CO natural idle here in mainland.

When I first bought mine 9 years ago it had 0.01% CO and 30ppm HC, but using Shell VPower and good maintanence has dropped it to 0.00%CO and 8ppm HC last couple of MOT's and that's without LPG.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Are the rules different there? It's 0.2% CO and 200ppm HC fast idle and 0.3% CO natural idle here in mainland.

When I first bought mine 9 years ago it had 0.01% CO and 30ppm HC, but using Shell VPower and good maintanence has dropped it to 0.00%CO and 8ppm HC last couple of MOT's and that's without LPG.
Knowing this part of the 'United Kingdom', it's bound to be different! The MOTs are done by a government agency, the DVTA. There are only 17 locations in all of Northern Ireland.

As to what they test for, the figures I quoted where what was printed on the MOT sheet. I've just had a look at their website, and strangely enough, it does mention 'guidance figures' of 200ppm at 0.3% fast idle and 0.5% at idle.