A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Everything Else

D4 - Everything Else Holding forum for all D4 banter until membership grows and we'll expand out

Old 23rd August 2014, 05:43 PM

They look good mate and love the tow bar what a wicked piece of kit ! I do like those new tail pipes on the latest 8 update
I have fitted the mudflaps on mine as the bottoms of the doors get hammered in fact I am thinking if having a word with Audi when I go in for service as at 13k miles mine is pebble dashed on the front lower section of the front doors. Very noticeable on a dark car. I had the same with a jag xfs and complained and they arranged for the paint to be sorted. Not what I expected of an Audi though my last d3 didn't have any real damage and that was at 100k when I traded it in.
I'm hoping the mudflaps have at least stopped any more damage
Cheers Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 24th August 2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Tow bar is really cool, I'm just not sure about the wheel size.
They look very tiny and 19s is much better choice as it looks way better and still offers great comfort.
This is just my opinion
Other than that it's a lovely car mate
I do know what you mean about the size. I was trying to balance the cost and comfort with the looks.

The overall look is pretty good I think. Stuck in traffic yesterday we got a couple of thumbs up for car.

I remember as a youth when everything was 15" or 16" and a set of 18's were amazing.
Old 24th August 2014, 10:33 AM

It's all down to personal preference mate, what's the point to have something what other people likes but not you.
19s still gives plenty of comfort.

Thumbs up are always a nice thing, I get them mainly because of the exhaust, but I've been stop many times because of the look as well

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 25th August 2014, 02:06 PM

19s may give plenty of comfort compared to 20s, but 18s are far comfier than 19s.
Old 26th August 2014, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the comments chaps!

I've demonstrated the towbar moving in and out of position a few times now, and the most common comment, is that it's a bit rude and phallic.

I'll try and get a video done.

Last edited by Firepit; 26th August 2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 26th August 2014, 12:39 PM

I'm with 18 rims too. I also prefer a bit more higher profile tyres than recommended size. This way wheel is larger and occupies arch completely. Like how it looks and very comfy too.
Old 26th August 2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glync View Post
I had the same with a jag xfs and complained and they arranged for the paint to be sorted.
Cheers Glyn
Off topic but what did you think of the XFS compared to your D4. Where is the D4 a lot better?

Considering a 2 or 3 year old D4 at present, but the sheer value for money of a used XFS is a considerable plus for the Jaaaag. Prefer the look of the Audi though (and the added reliability I would imagine I would get) plus ride comfort

XJ looks good value too

Decisions decisions????
Old 26th August 2014, 09:46 PM

Hi there and welcome to the forum
The Xf is a superb car but frankly not in the league of the A8 it's in the lower division IMHO
The Jag has a lovely interior if you get it spec'd right and the engine is very quiet for a diesel even today a few years or so in it is one of the smoothest and delivers a great deal of bang for the buck. I had the active suspension which makes it handle superb defies the size of the motor round the twisty bits. Expect mid 30's mpg for the s version I enjoyed mine but wouldn't want to run a big mileage in in to be honest it just doesn't feel that solid.
Where the Audi A8 shines is in the engineering ..it is totally over engineered in virtually every way and if you appreciate the way things are pu t together and operate you will appreciate the 8. The technology is way ahead of the jag and in today's world that matters, but having said that I don't think it's tech for tech sake it blends into the motor in a way which feels useable but still very special.
You also feel like you are driving something far more substantial that doesn't shout look at me like some other brands. The jaguar XJ is probably a better comparison to the 8. I did look at them before shelling out for my current D4. They offer good value for 1 to 2 years old, I was put off by the number of electrical and minor issues I read about and having to deal with the local dealers if I bought one as we had bumped heads before with my XK and the XF
Having suffered minor problems ranging from headlights which went off for no reason , rattles which drive me mad to even being stuck for two hours waiting for the breakdown chaps when the fuel pump gave way ....meaning trips to dealers and contact with the tossers who have no understanding of what it feels like to shell out a fortune for a car and suffer problems . I get stressed with cars which don't deliver as I have my own high standards and if I can avoid contact with dealers all the better as most of them are poor. I am not say Audi are better dealers but give me a reason to see less of them and I will be happy hope this all makes sense . Don't get me wrong I have a soft spot for the Jag and still have a 1996 x300 four litre sport which has been in the family for 15 years they do have a sense of occasion which many brands fail to capture
Oh and there's one other thing to consider, should we see the white stuff this winter well park up your Jag BMW Merc and go build a snowman with the kids. I lost two weeks work with my Merc when we had the last bad winter. Previously my D3 sailed through the winter and did me proud I couldn't even open the doors on the last Merc I had
Cheers
Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 26th August 2014, 10:57 PM

Thanks GlynC. Your comments echoed my concerns. I do circa 19-23k miles per year and one think I hate is odd problems, rattles and general poor build/reliability.

I had a standard XF from the lease company whilst the current BMW was in for electrical issues for 3 weeks and liked it - but it felt more Mondeo than exec inside. The Nav was awful! The drive and engine were great. Economy was poor. 45mpg in the BMW - 31mpg in the Jag. Do you find the D4 more economical with the XFS?

I am leaving the company car scheme (was doing 35-40k per annum) but as now based from home - having my own wheels is advantageous - hence the 2-3 year old car with all the toys rather than me paying tax on them (plus i get my co car allowance back). Like the look of a 3.0TDi A8 Exec SE with comfort seats, BOSE, Adaptive cruise, Sports Diff and whatever other options I can find on the right car. ACC is the one option that is not popular but keeping my eyes peeled until late Feb 2015 when I have to buy.

4.2 TDi I have not completely discounted but fear it will be too thirsty

Cheers
Old 26th August 2014, 11:14 PM

Well I'm a total A8 convert. This car is just awesome to drive. I've had 3 seven series prior and got really fed up with the clunky gear changes of the BMW diesels.

The new A8 3.0 TDI 258 PSI is very powerful and has quite a turn of speed yet it's really smooth. It's not as instantly responsive as a large petrol would be, but then it's not a race car. That said, it sticks to the road like you know what, and above all else the 4wd makes it the car to have. Sure footed beyond belief. Gripping where my seven always lost rear traction.

I don't even think I've been able to make the traction control kick in on this as yet.

Jaguars to my mind have had their day. They've cut corners and costs and just do not feel as special as the older ones did.

So really it's up to you what you buy :-)