A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 21st August 2009, 03:37 PM

Default Bedford Trackday Part Two!

We hit the track at Bedford Autodrome again on Monday, this time armed with some new weaponry.

We now have ex BTCC Slicks

They have completely cured or if you like hidden the understeer issues that we had last time out, the car felt awesome right from the word go. Unfortunately for a couple of reasons the brakes weren't as good as they were last time, so back to the drawing board on that one.

Ive got two video's this time, the first is a roof mounted bullet camera showing me catching everything in sight, including a Porsche 911 Turbo, but ending with me getting distracted by an MX5 trying to let me through and stuffing it straight into the gravel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy3aidh-Tls

Totally my fault, I could list a wole load of excuses but I won't bother, nevermind and a lesson learnt The Bedford guys were fab, dragged the car out for me very quickly and off I went to clear the masses of gravel that I had accumulated

The second one is a front splitter mounted camera with Toby at the wheel. Again catching and overtaking everything in sight. The car is soo much fun its really great. Keep an eye out for Techie from Tyresmoke in his Supercharged VX220

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anf74JOYjmA

Another good fun day had by all, Toby managed a 2:58, my best was a 3:03 but by chance didn't get a clear lap all day. We had a friend out as well with us, being her first time on track she was very nervous but made big leaps forward during the day ending up with a 3:35 which is not bad at all.
Old 21st August 2009, 03:56 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Top Video Matt!

Want some brakes like mine?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 23rd August 2009, 10:35 AM

Actually no Mike, thanks for the offer to donate your brakes though. We want to stay with the 17" wheel size. It appears one of the brake ducts may have been partly blocked and the pads weren't in great shape following the last track day although they should have been ok. Might try some EBC Blue stuff as it seems that they suit heavier cars, not quite so aggressive compound be consistent which will hopefully give us the confidence we need in them.
Old 1st September 2009, 08:56 PM

Love these vids Matt. Brilliant!!