A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 8th December 2012, 08:26 PM

Default Auto-fold mirrors when key is removed

Starting a thread on this topic. While it isn't anything we truly need, I think this would be a neat little mod. Looking at the wiring diagrams it'll only require sending a 12v hot to the control module and adding a relay off power from the ignition switch. I don't have all the wiring worked out yet completely, but as I get it all sorted this weekend I'll update.

This is one of those little mods I like doing that has little purpose other than novelty, I never really use the folding mirrors and don't parallel park very often. But I'm bored and need something to do haha.

Using these wiring diagrams:

http://www.mitchell-auto.ru/UserFile...audi-s8-wd.pdf

We find that on page 37, FIG. 36 that the module is powered by a blue wire on PIN 4. That must be switched power from the ignition switch. Powering that off the time delay power or with a constant feed should allow us to have folding mirrors with the car otherwise off (much like how the radio will work for a period with the key removed yet the windows will not).

The switch on the door does nothing more than provide a ground that energizes the module. So then all we need is a relay that will create ground with the key off, and that will open when the key is on. Simple enough. For this I'll be using the original keyed 12v that was energizing the module. I'll have both the new relay and the original mirror switch wiring run to PIN 12, thus the switch will still work as well. With the car on it will open the relay and won't ground, key off it'll give us the ground and mirrors will fold. I'll provide pics and further info (and video) when I complete the work.

The final design went something like this: power to PIN 4 is cut and a constant feed is brought in from the relay box (Several all-time hot 12v locations at the base of the fusebox, just grab power from there). Off the keyed power we add a double pole single throw relay, when power is on via the key the relay powers a pin that is open, and when off the other pole flows to ground and from that ground to PIN 12. At PIN 12 we splice this wire in with the other wire that feeds there. I'll draw a diagram shortly to better illustrate this all.

Last edited by 71camaro; 19th December 2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 8th December 2012, 08:44 PM

I try not to fold mine unless I need to on the basis that the plastic gears will wear out quicker and if its not necessary then it is putting extra wear on all parts for no reason. It would still be interesting to see the mod work though - you must be really bored if thats gonna keep you busy on the car!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 8th December 2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I try not to fold mine unless I need to on the basis that the plastic gears will wear out quicker and if its not necessary then it is putting extra wear on all parts for no reason. It would still be interesting to see the mod work though - you must be really bored if thats gonna keep you busy on the car!!
Well, I'm waiting on cool stuff from Europe, but I can't just sit still with the car. It's my drug I guess (cars in general). Last night, rather than going to the bar or something I went to a friend's house and pulled the interior out of a V70R Volvo haha.
Old 12th December 2012, 09:16 AM

Love the American car culture, and your massive garages.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 12th December 2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Love the American car culture, and your massive garages.
Amir, if you love what we're doing you MUST come over for H2O International (VW/Audi show here in Maryland) or for Southern Worthersee (VW/Audi show in Georgia). H2Oi is at the beach, probably the biggest VW and Audi event in North America, also draws a ton of BMWs and Mercedes as well, amazing weekend, and only a half hour fro me. SoWo is second biggest, different atmosphere, but probably equally as good. Both are amazing.

I plan on making it to Europe soon for your events, as Edition 38 and GTI International both are calling my name. And of course GTI Treffen am Worthersee.
Old 12th December 2012, 03:30 PM

Got this working, pics and vids to come. Completed info will be in the OP shortly.
Old 12th December 2012, 04:24 PM

Well done, that's a cool mod. I'll look into that event, it sounds awesome. I love visiting the US, can see myself moving out there one day, I'm there every opportunity I get. Think I'm going Chicago next, this time last year I was in NY,LA,LV oh and the year before that.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 19th December 2012, 02:00 AM

Top post has the instructions added, pictures to follow.
Old 31st December 2012, 04:31 PM

Interesting stuff. Video please.

Wiring picture too and part numbers for relays.