A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 10th November 2011, 12:24 PM

Default Can anyone help me ID a passenger side mirror?!

Hi all

I've been on the look out for a pair of plastic mirrors for my S8 for ages and have come across some at sensible money. Unfortunately the car was broken some time ago so they can't tell me whether the seats were electric memory and if the mirrors are electric fold or not, both of which I want so I know the nearside mirror will dip in reverse.

Are there variations in the numbers of pins connected at the plug depending on how many twiddly bits there are in the mirror electrics that would make it easy enough to check if they're correct or not? Any obvious fittings for the auto dip function that aren't present on non-dipping mirror?

I've got the reg for the car, but unfortunately not the VIN so I'm expecting Audi to tell me to get stuffed when/if they ring me back.....

I know the mirror part number I need for the passenger side (4d2858531bd) and I'm assuming if that one is right then the driver's side should be fine too.

Tearing my hair out on this one.....

Cheers

Adrian
Old 10th November 2011, 12:31 PM

So what exactly do you need to know, I can't exactly understand your post?

I've got a spare (waiting to fit, bought from A8parts) nearside dipping/folding/memory mirror body for a PF S8 to hand so can check anything visual on that if it helps.

Last edited by HPsauce; 10th November 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10th November 2011, 12:45 PM

Basically this bit is the question:

Quote:
Are there variations in the numbers of pins connected at the plug depending on how many twiddly bits there are in the mirror electrics that would make it easy enough to check if they're correct or not? Any obvious fittings for the auto dip function that aren't present on non-dipping mirror?
I basically need to know if it's possible to ID the correct mirror based on its physical appearance/wiring to confirm it is the part number I need.

If you could post a pic of the spare you have (especially if it's without mirror glass) and the wiring plug pins then that would help as I can compare to what I've been offered.

Mine's a facelift though, so may be different.....

Cheers

Adrian
Old 10th November 2011, 01:33 PM

I think Facelift had potentially other options, such as auto-dim so it may not be very relevant.
Difficult to photo, but the glass is off so I'll describe the wiring as best I can:

Part label: 4D2 858 531 (+other number groups) 04.05.98

Captive socket that plugs in as unit is mounted: 7 pins of 10 (2,3,4,7,8,9,10) wires not accessible for further info.

Socket on fly lead: 7 pins of 10 - 3 of 4 outer large ones, 4 of 6 inner thin ones. No numbering visible, all 7 have wires on. I THINK this lead goes straight through the hinge mechanism to the mirror motors.

6 separate thin leads also appear through the hinge inside the unit, presumably from the "captive" socket:
2 black leads that appear to be for the heated mirror glass.
2 further black leads that loop back behind the glass to the outer side of what I think is probably the "folding" motor - can't see where they terminate.
Red & white leads that enter the inner side of the (presumed) folding motor.
Old 10th November 2011, 11:58 PM

Facelift mirrors are a different shape glass from prefacelift

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 12th November 2011, 09:47 AM
Banned

i have a set of plastic ones that im looking at getting rid of in place of some chrome S8 ones mine are FL if your interested, do you still have your S8 ones ? can do a swap with cash your way if you like ? oh yes they are heated auto dimming and folding, just in case they differ at all
Old 12th November 2011, 01:06 PM

I'd like to take those Guy if they fit mine!! Can I get 1st refusal? I've been trying to get a pair of facelift mirror glasses for like 2 years from A8 parts lol

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
Old 13th November 2011, 11:52 AM

Cheers folks - great info

Guy - I'm not looking at disposing of the alloy mirrors. I want to keep them for the summer and run the plastic for the winter, or if I can't be bothered to change them back at least have them for when we move house to somewhere with a double garage with I don't have to worry about them getting stolen again!

I'm going to take a punt on the ones I've found being the right type - just need to agree a price that suits, in case they turn out not to be correct.
Old 15th November 2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I'd like to take those Guy if they fit mine!! Can I get 1st refusal? I've been trying to get a pair of facelift mirror glasses for like 2 years from A8 parts lol

yes you can have first refusal, as soon as i can get hold of some ally ones you dont happen to have some do you ??
Old 15th November 2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
yes you can have first refusal, as soon as i can get hold of some ally ones you dont happen to have some do you ??
I did have but they were pf ones (doh!) and I sold them to RanjA8 lol