A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 14th December 2012, 09:22 AM

Default Inside boot release button not working

Hi all just to see what you think i have found that my drivers door piller boot release botton is not working.....was thinking it could be one of the air lines next to the hinges on the opening....
.....i can hear the air coming out after i have started the car for a time...

Thanks all
Old 14th December 2012, 11:05 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

What car is it? If it's a vacuum leak, wouldn't that stop the boot opening on the 'blip' button on the key fob too?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 14th December 2012, 12:05 PM

Make sure the key position on the boot lock is in the correct position before you look any further

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 14th December 2012, 04:24 PM

The button in the B pillar and the remote use an electric actuator to release the boot - if it works on the remote (push and hold for several seconds) I'd be pulling the switch and testing the connections to see if there's a continuity fault. If not, it suggests the switch itself is faulty.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th December 2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
What car is it? If it's a vacuum leak, wouldn't that stop the boot opening on the 'blip' button on the key fob too?
sorry its a 2000 A8 qs 3.7.And yes that's what i'm thinking as it works evey time with the key fob
Old 15th December 2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47p2 View Post
Make sure the key position on the boot lock is in the correct position before you look any further
Thanks did check and the boot key position is in the up- down position
Old 15th December 2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
The button in the B pillar and the remote use an electric actuator to release the boot - if it works on the remote (push and hold for several seconds) I'd be pulling the switch and testing the connections to see if there's a continuity fault. If not, it suggests the switch itself is faulty.

Cool thank you will give that a check over..it a new button as the old one feel apart a few months ago...the button dose light up.... but will take it apart and check it.

Is there anything else that i should check out
Old 15th December 2012, 06:53 AM

When I got my A8 the switch to work the boot was broken. Got a replacement from the forum sponsors (A8parts) via ebay, and now it works a treat.

Was the replacement new or secondhand, if the latter then it could have failed.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 15th December 2012, 07:48 AM

Good point this one was new from TSP in Leicester was about £15 or so.
Old 1st January 2013, 08:15 PM

Is your glovebox locked? if so this should 'knock out' the pillar switch. This trick has caught me out a time or two. It stops anyone with the service key entering the boot also.

Hope this helps.

Paul.