A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 9th November 2011, 01:52 PM

Default Uploading connections

I tried txt but looked very confusing...will try csv file...that should work....will do that later tonite....
Old 9th November 2011, 09:11 PM

Default the connections so far for instrument cluster

Here is the excel file in csv format. I have changed the extension to txt. So to make it work in excel, i think one will have to change the extension to csv first, and then open it comma delimited.

The spreadsheet is arranged so the cluster pin information for the pf is on the left and for the fl on the right.

In the middle I have put where I could connect the appropriate wire from pf to fl. If someone could have a look and tell me if it is correct...and confirm the pins I m unsure about...that would be great.

Today....wasnt so great I supposedly order the three cluster plugs for the fl instrument cluster yesterday....blue/green and grey....instead today I got two green plugs....so will go back to tps to sort it out.

Fortunately they are only the down road from me.....but I post the part numbers when i have them for anyone else as they are quite tricky to find on etka.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Connections so far.txt (4.4 KB, 338 views)

Last edited by RanjS8; 9th November 2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Updating attached file
Old 9th November 2011, 11:44 PM

Default Connections Updated

I have updated the text file with the appropriate connections...so please ignore the previous file I uploaded.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Connection Updated.TXT (4.7 KB, 295 views)
Old 15th November 2011, 11:43 PM

Default Rns e Pin Code retrieval and yes it is in the a8!!!!!

The past few days have been quite productive and at the same time satisfactory.

I managed to get the double din fascia into my a8....I changed the wood appearance of the trim to carbon effect with some 3m dimoc stuff off ebay...and the wiring from kufatec arrive so I managed to get the rnse in there and working.....

All that took 30 secs to write....and about 3 days to do....

Full of trouble and strife along the way....

1. To do the carbon effect I used bits of information from the following links....1.Carbon Trim thread from D2-Interior Section
.....2.Elsawin to find out how to remove the dash wood trim
....3.Audipages info to pull the centre fascia and the armrest centre console.

I got the carbon fibre wrap off ebay....it was about 30 quid and I just needed one length of 300 by 600 to do the whole car.

Putting the double din fascia was another story....

Well the single din fascia is actually smaller than the double din fascia and so the double din fascia doesnt actually just slip in as it should....when you pull out the single din fascia there is a bar that goes across the bottom to give the single din fascia support....now rather than replace the whole upper dash....I just hack sawed this little bar out (I did think of using a grinder...but then thought maybe sparks flying behind the dash wasnt necessarily a good thing....lol)....so persevered with the hack saw...fortunately only takes about 10 mins to do....

Once that bar is out the double din fascia slips in perfectly....

The RNS E......

Next up the RNS e....well I havent got it working 100% as yet....but it is in there....and it will play music....but it wont update the location even though I have attached a satnav antenna to it....And I still have to get the fl instrument cluster in so it has canbus feed off the car....until I do this there are no lights on the unit....which i think are linked to the can bus....
]
To wire it into the existing wiring was a doddle...just ordered cable from kufatec....there isnt an adapter available for the a8....so ordered the closest a6 one....but i also needed the ariel adapter....

Now the biggest stumbling block I had was the code to get the rns e working in the first place. When I purchased the rns e, I forgot to ask about the pin code. So imagine my initial shock horror...when I started it up and it asked for the code.....

Well I contacted the seller and he was no use.....so it was either a case of bin it and buy a new one...or find a way.....and fortunately I found a way....which I think will be useful to others that may find themselves in this predicament....and believe it or not I did it for nothing...did pay a dime to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well first off to find the pin code...one needs the serial number for the rns e
Now with the rns c, that i had this was engraved on the metal on the side. So i thought this would be similar for the rns e. But when I looked around it, there was none to be found.

Furthermore...I was looking for a number beginning with AUZ....it was no where...absolutely no where....I looked on box that the rns e came with....which when I did comparisons turned out to be for a completely different unit...on the rns e unit itself nothing but a reference to something called aisin and bunch of numbers....

So I just started pluggin the numbers into google and came across the site below...http://www.codecard.lt/car-radio/aud.../prod_392.html.....

On this page, I found out that the pin code was part of the serial number....and only way to get the serial number was to retrieve it from the unit itself....which I think is possible using vag com...however my unit hasnt been paired with the infotainment system yet....or by get that cd that is reference on the site...but how did i know it worked and i certainly didnt want to pay 99 dollars for pleasure of messing the rnse up....

So I decided to google the unlocking cd...and there in lay my answer...
http://carradio.forumr.net/t8-audi-a...ISIN+UNLOCK+CD
This link takes you to a cd isofile, which one would need to retrieve the pincode from the rns e.

All you do is create a cd using the above isofile with clonecd, and then follow the instruction on the other link.

Hey presto you not only unlock the rns e but also obtain the pin code....very very very useful indeed....

BTW I m not sure this would work with newer rns e's...so my advice would be MAKE SURE YOU GET THE PIN CODE WHEN YOU BUY ONE......

I have still have lots to do...to get the rns e working properly...but i m just glad to get this far....and sound is now awesome on the bose system....whoopeeee....

Things to do.....

1..Get sat nav working how it should
2..Get bluetooth integrated
3..Reversing camera and AV module ....

will have pics soon...was too dark tonite....damn my iphone with no flash
Old 16th November 2011, 08:02 AM

An interesting thing I've noticed with rns-e and Bose is that the front/rear balance is way off 50:50 otherwise you get no sound coming from the rear

I didn't notice until my wife mentioned she couldn't hear it properly when she was sprog watching on a long journey. I sat in the back to try and get the balance right
Old 16th November 2011, 08:25 AM

Is your RNS-E properly coded for an A8 with Bose Adrian?

I know.. I know..

Old 16th November 2011, 09:34 AM

Yep, far as I know anyway! Was all done professionally so can't imagine they didn't do something. The rns-e knows it has Bose as there's no option to vary volume with speed as its automatic with Bose

Guess since the rns-e came out of something much smaller it may have had a different speaker setup, balance wise?
Old 16th November 2011, 11:48 AM

RNS-E has different codings for different cars and Bose/non-Bose too. Might be worth checking (also could be a problem with your Bose amp).

I know.. I know..

Old 16th November 2011, 12:38 PM

Sounds good Ranj, the RNS E takes a speed signal or something from the car, I think it's the same one people snip when they want to activate TV in motion. With this feed the sat nav should work. I'm not sure how your going to do that though.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 16th November 2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
RNS-E has different codings for different cars and Bose/non-Bose too. Might be worth checking (also could be a problem with your Bose amp).
Sounds like one for next year's annual meet, as I don't have vag-com to check the coding, or have the slightest idea what it should be coded as, since RNS-E was never standard on a D2 S8......

I checked and I have the fader set 4 clicks to the rear, although it could probably be 3 clicks if I could be bothered to use my cloth ears a bit better to decide if I've got it right from the front and rear!