A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 22nd February 2009, 05:45 PM
GregLo

Default steering issue

previously my power steering had been becoming increasingly tight on right turns only, at first it was only happening from time to time now its constant' this is a US model . I had a local alignment shop check the entire front end, they found nothing . Other than the fact they said I needed a new rack. My question is could this be just a clogged valve in the rack , simply because turning left isn't a problem ., during my inspection of the fluid I noticed it was darker then it should be If I do flush it is there any thing I could use or should i just use the normal pentosin to flush and fill
Greg
Old 22nd February 2009, 06:14 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Greglo,

If you haven't found it here is the flush procedure.

To replace the rack you need this guide.

There are 2 possibles for your symptoms. The rack and the control arm ball joint that the hub carrier sits on on the stiff side.

Tha ball joint is easy to bowl out. Just disconnect the track rod end on that side and see if the hub is stiff to move.

If its a new steering rack you need then you need a few hours, a few beers and a good mate with a spanner.

Good luck

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 22nd February 2009, 07:44 PM

I had a similar problem and was looking at a new rack... A flush of the fluid might help, but have a look at the filter inside the reservoir.. Mine was filthy and just needed a clean up.. Once i'd done that, it was great.
Old 23rd February 2009, 08:37 PM
GregLo

going to give it a try this weekend and pray for the best. i sure hope thats it because the system has no leaks or strange noises
worst case scenario I'll try a remanufactured 400$ rack because the new racks are 1300$ usd
"Quiet"
While I pray to the audi gods
Old 6th March 2009, 08:37 AM
harpersimon

Changed my PS fluid last weekend using the Audipages procedure - no issues to report. 3 litres of PS fluid required - you'll need a top up once you have flushed the reservoir twice, and a golf tee is essential! Genius device for blocking the reservoir up.
Otherwise watch your hose connections, and if you can - replace the OEM pipe clamps with some nice new ones. I did the one on the reservoir end as described, but also found the one the other end loose.