A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 26th July 2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
That doesn't sound great, I can understand them wanting to take a look to see what they are getting into, but wanting to charge you to do so isn't great!?
Standard practice really - the charge generally taken off the bill assuming you have the work done by that garage. If they only get the cost of doing the scan at least their time is covered. Not many garages are going to want to accept a customer's own diagnosis of a fault without checking it's valid.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 26th July 2020, 04:07 PM

Why not? "Changed xxx at customer request" is a fairly standard disclaimer for doing so?
Old 26th July 2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Why not? "Changed xxx at customer request" is a fairly standard disclaimer for doing so?
Because they don't want to get into an argument over a bill for their time if the fault isn't fixed having changed the part the customer thinks is faulty.

There are always options on how to handle, and a lot will depend on the existing relationship with the customer - if it's a 'first time' visit you're less likely to get the customer's opinion of what's wrong taken into account.

It's just a standard 'diagnostic' charge, which is not just for the cost of the equipment, but also the time taken discussing with the customer what they're going to do.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 28th July 2020, 11:37 AM

It's fixed now and cost only about half of What I was expecting. I got the correct genuine Audi sensor on ebay for £38, I was not sure if garage will use part supplied by me but it was cheap enough to try and and I was looking at possibly saving a day of waiting between them diagnosing the fault and ordering and getting the part.

Monday morning around 9:15 dropped the car off, I was lucky that all 3 fault codes came back before I dropped off car so they could see all of them ( P2002, P2453 and P2454, that's bank 1 DPF below efficiency threshold, Sensor electrical malfunction and sensor implausible signal). Sensor was still in transit at this point. Garage said the car is going in with the next wave and they will give me a call when they find out more. Sensor arrived around 10am. Fast forward to after 2pm still no call from garage, I was going to post office to send a parcel so took the sensor with me and on my way back from post office around 3pm stopped by the garage to see how they are doing.

Apparently they had car hooked up to computer, checked faults and could see sensor and DPF faults, they were thinking DPF is fine, just the sensor faulty but they were not sure so they had sent off data to Audi and awaiting response from Audi and was going to hook up car to computer in 30 min time and see what response they got from Audi and call me as soon as they find out. At this point I say I have original Audi sensor in my pocket if they are happy to use it and save the waiting time ordering part, they were happy to take my part.

Back at home around 3:30pm I get a call from garage and it goes something like this:

Garage - As you know DPF sensor needs changing but it's a lot of work as it is on top of gearbox and we need to remove lot of stuff to get to it
Me - I know, that's why I am not doing it myself and took the car to you
Garage - The problem is there are 2 sensors, computer shows me it's faulty sensor but does not show which one
Me - It's bank 1 , I know
Garage - Which is bank 1?
Me - It's on the right hand side as you sit in the car, cylinders 1-4
Garage - It's a lot of work but we do not know exactly how long it will take or how much it will cost as computer does not show us time required for the job.
Me - Audi standard labour is 1.3 hours. When I first enquired about the job I sent you e-mail, not sure if you have seen it as I never got reply to email and just went to you to speak in person but there was instructions for the job attached as well, I can resend them if you like.
Garage - 1.3 hours? OK, it will be £99.96 all in
Me - Excellent, can you get it done today before closing, If not then I would prefer to take the car today because I need it tomorrow morning and will drop off again tomorrow.
Garage - We will try to get it done today.

About 5pm ( they are closing 5:30pm) I get another call - Unfortunately it's taking longer than expected as everything is seized so we will not get it done today, we will call you tomorrow morning when it's done.

Finally about 11am got a call today that it's done and I can pick up car. I was not sure if they are going to charge me more because it took longer but no, only asked for for £99.96 as quoted, invoice shows 1.55 hours ( I assume 1.3 for the job as per Audi standard labour +0.25 for the diagnostics) @ 59.50 per hour -£8.93 discount(???) +VAT

So all in all happy with the outcome, only cost me £137.96 even if it was a bit long winded process with the garage

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 28th July 2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 28th July 2020, 12:43 PM

That is a great result.

Does make me smile they have a diagnostic charge, but ultimately you effectivly quoted the job yourself

1.3 hours is the book time, I'm guessing that is on a new car that doesn't have 10+years of corrosion and crud on the subframe bolts that have never been touched!

Let's hope bank 2 sensor lasts longer than the bank 1 did
Old 28th July 2020, 12:48 PM

Bank 2 was changed in 2016

Quote:
but ultimately you effectivly quoted the job yourself
that must be why I got £8.93 discount

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 28th July 2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 28th July 2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Bank 2 was changed in 2016

that must be why I got £8.93 discount
Next time you need work doing, just tell them Audi say it is 1.3 hours