A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 6th April 2018, 06:22 PM

Default Test Driving the Opposition

Had a test drive today with David's8 in the first 4WD M5, very nice car, loaded with high tech, and very quick. Even if I had the kind of money they are asking for it to spend on a car, I'm not convinced it's worth the £101k price tag ..and even if I wanted one I would need to wait till 2020..so they are obviously selling well

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M5 (1024 x 576).jpg
Views:	978
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	18316  

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 6th April 2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 6th April 2018, 07:40 PM

Thanks to Brian ... and, of course, Connor,
A blistering fast car, more refined than Brian's RS6 (sorry brian). I liked the styling and, of course, the power through a smoooth 8-speed box.

Options I can do without include massage seats (having your buttocks massaged whilst negotiating a tricky section of country road is one I can, frankly, do without)......and thats from an ex-Navy man )

Lane assist is a pain in the ar$e in another way. If I am sober and awake why do I need the car to try and haul itself back into line when I want to pull out early without signalling (no one behind me).

But an interesting and different drive
Old 6th April 2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Lane assist is a pain in the ar$e in another way. If I am sober and awake why do I need the car to try and haul itself back into line when I want to pull out early without signalling (no one behind me).
Remember David, you are NOT a BMW driver................

IIRC Even a 600 volt cattle prod is inadequate to convince a BMW driver to use indicators correctly.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th April 2018, 09:52 PM

I hope you are not insinuating that i was driving lke a BMW driver

I really cant think of any purpose for this technology unless its part of a self-driving system.
Old 6th April 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
more refined than Brian's RS6 (sorry brian)
Glad about that, always worked hard to avoid my name being linked to any sort of refinement

Seriously though, I agree, the fact the RS6 is 10 years old with 82k on the clock, less tech and an older 6 speed box has something to do with that...oh and I paid less than a quarter of that £101k the reason I bought it was for the raw performance experience of the Audi V10, and despite the 10 year age gap the V10 power delivery still feels much better IMHO

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 6th April 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 6th April 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I really cant think of any purpose for this technology unless its part of a self-driving system.
You're probably right on that, our Volvo has it and it just seems pointless.
Not sure how the BMW system works, but the Volvo one is actually fairly gentle. If you change lane without indicating (typically pulling back in after overtaking which in my opinion definitely does NOT require a signal) you just get a gentle shake of the steering wheel and a bit of pressure, nothing that really diverts you, just reminds you.

That said, it does integrate very well with the adaptive cruise, seemingly intelligently scanning both the lane you're in and the one adjacent when you indicate to overtake, accelerating appropriately if it's slowed down due to a vehicle in front in your lane but the overtaking lane is clear.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 6th April 2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 6th April 2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
You're probably right on that, our Volvo has it and it just seems pointless.
Not sure how the BMW system works, but the Volvo one is actually fairly gentle. If you change lane without indicating (typically pulling back in after overtaking which in my opinion definitely does NOT require a signal) you just get a gentle shake of the steering wheel and a bit of pressure, nothing that really diverts you, just reminds you.

That said, it does integrate very well with the adaptive cruise, seemingly intelligently scanning both the lane you're in and the one adjacent when you indicate to overtake, accelerating appropriately if it's slowed down due to a vehicle in front in your lane but the overtaking lane is clear.
Well, if I wasnt wanting the drive the car it might be might be useful. it was quite assertive (considerably more than SWMBO shouting "why are you overtaking - i am quite happy behind this lorry") It tugged the steering wheel bringing me back off the overtaking line. Its crap with no discernable benefit - at least to me. Not on my options list.
Old 7th April 2018, 10:49 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
What would be good is something to help enforce MSM (Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre) rather that SMM (Signal, Mirror, Manoeuvre ... or even Signal Manoeuvre, Mirror) ... ie those idiots who hit the indicator just as you're about to pass so that you have to slam your foot on the brakes in case they haven't seen you.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre dιcor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 7th April 2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 7th April 2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
What would be good is something to help enforce MSM
Our Volvo has sensors (I think radars in the rear bumper) that detect vehicles in the so-called blind spots (slightly behind either side) and light up a warning by the relevant door mirror.
They don't enforce anything, but do work very well.
Old 7th April 2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
What would be good is something to help enforce MSM (Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre) rather that SMM (Signal, Mirror, Manoeuvre ... or even Signal Manoeuvre, Mirror) ... ie those idiots who hit the indicator just as you're about to pass so that you have to slam your foot on the brakes in case they haven't seen you.
Any decent autopilot system will do that, and ensure that it keeps you safe - mine does

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.