A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 27th February 2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Correct. It shuts down to save itself however if it has been working hard for a while (every start and driving say) then it can burn out which I gather is what happened to the old one. I wonder if the green pipe was the original culprit?
Hmm not sure but car was fine before if I'm honest. I'm currently looking at solution to remove the damage section of airline and re join it properly.

http://www.air-suspension-shop.com/A...sion-4E0616040
Old 4th March 2020, 11:50 AM

**update 04/03/20**

Well I got the car back and the yellow suspension light was on solid. I called Neeldub round who has VCDS and we did a scan clear all the fault codes and did a basic calibration.

it seems to have cleared the yellow suspension light. Strangely lift mode is sometimes greyed out and then comes back on again..

Anyone know why this might be?
Old 5th March 2020, 11:49 AM

Does the lift mode grey out when the car is standing still? It does grey out at a certain speed but shouldn't do at stand still
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 6th March 2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Does the lift mode grey out when the car is standing still? It does grey out at a certain speed but shouldn't do at stand still
I'll check again once I've had a chance to drive it around.

I'm just glad after 3 weeks, I've got the car back. There are still some issues that need sorting but I hope to do that soon.

I can here the compressor running, I think the garage have not mounted it correctly and the damn thing vibrates quite a lot.

I've ordered a new fitting kit and hope that does the trick.
Old 9th March 2020, 10:00 AM

Morning all,

Right, I've driven the car this weekend and found that if I'm in dynamic mode and drive above 20mph all the other suspension options grey out.
When the car slows down to below 20mph all the other suspension options illuminate and become selectable again.

I can also hear the compressor cycling a time to time, I'm not sure if the mechanic has mounted the compressor incorrectly and it is fouling something. I know it is mounted on a special insulating kit - perhaps he's done something wrong here.

Any idea chaps?
Old 9th March 2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT D3 View Post
I can also hear the compressor cycling a time to time, I'm not sure if the mechanic has mounted the compressor incorrectly and it is fouling something. I know it is mounted on a special insulating kit - perhaps he's done something wrong here.
From memory when I replaced the compressor on mine, the compressor mounts to the isolation frame with three mini 'shocks'. Essentially, it's a rubber T-shaped grommet and a spring, and held in place with a bolt. The isolation frame is then bolted to the car with another four bolts. So far as the mechanic fitting it wrong, unless he left out the springs or the grommets, I can't see how it could be fitted wrong.

Reading through the previous posts, is it possible to get it scanned again to see if you're still getting the over temperature code, as I'm wondering if this is why the other options are greying out, and that although the compressor is giving you the 16 bar output, maybe there is still another leak somewhere.

Finally, others including Neil suggested getting the fuse and relay replaced. Do you know if this was ever done for definite, as it's standard practice to replace both when replacing the compressor, irrespective of their condition, and it's not the hardest job to do... just lift up the passenger footwell carpet, remove a piece of moulded polystyrene and replace them.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th March 2020, 11:19 AM

Steamship, thanks for the insightful response.

I've had all the error codes cleared, Neel and I did a basic 're calibration and it seems to have cleared any warning lights on the dash.

I don't think there is a leak as I've put the car in lift and Jack mode and left it for 36hrs and did not see any drop.

I can select all suspension options below 20mph. They work fine when selected. However, once the car exceeds 20mph the suspension options grey out.

We did an output test on the compressor and I'm sure it wasn't 16bar.

I think it was 10 or 11 bar. So I'm guessing this compressor isn't great, I bought a used one to get me going again.

I'm guessing this is now the issue.

I also understand the garage replaced the relay however, I may buy a new one regardless to rule that out too.
Old 10th March 2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT D3 View Post
I can select all suspension options below 20mph. They work fine when selected. However, once the car exceeds 20mph the suspension options grey out.

We did an output test on the compressor and I'm sure it wasn't 16bar.
The 'lift' option greys out once you go above 50mph, so can't figure out why it's greying out all the options above 20mph, unless it's picking up some issue that's going into a failsafe mode, but isn't leaving an error code. Do they enable again once you go below 20mph, or do you need to switch it off/on? With no error codes on it, would it be possible to drive it above 20mph and then scan it whilst in motion to see if there's a code? I think this is called 'grasping at straws'.

Regarding the compressor, I was going by one of your previous comments about testing it, unless it was just a typo.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th March 2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
The 'lift' option greys out once you go above 50mph, so can't figure out why it's greying out all the options above 20mph, unless it's picking up some issue that's going into a failsafe mode, but isn't leaving an error code. Do they enable again once you go below 20mph, or do you need to switch it off/on? With no error codes on it, would it be possible to drive it above 20mph and then scan it whilst in motion to see if there's a code? I think this is called 'grasping at straws'.

Regarding the compressor, I was going by one of your previous comments about testing it, unless it was just a typo.
I'm sure you can adjust the speed at which it greys out somewhere in vagcom settings / menus but cant remember if its in the standard areas or the green menu settings, so its also possible that someone has altered it and it could just be set back to say 40/45

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 11th March 2020, 09:46 AM

Steamship, Architex - thanks for the replies again

I think it is something to do with the selected speed at which it greys out has been altered.

Once the car drops below 20mph all the suspension options are selectable. I can select them fine and they work.

The car doesn't throw up any error codes.

On a side note, it's quite a complex system the air suspension and it does pay dividends to understand the system well.

I found out that the diesel A8's and the petrol A8's have different compressors. I've manged to source a compressor of a much later A8 petrol with the following part number 4E0616005H.

I will rebuild this one and it should cure the slightly low output I have with my (tired) replacement.

I've had to get much more involved with the repair than I anticipated but there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll report back once I have done some more work on the car.