A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 12th December 2010, 06:20 PM

Default RNS-E in an S8 - should the instrument cluster show turn by turn directions?

Hi all

Test drove a D2 S8 today - it has RNS-E retrofit but a couple of things I'm not sure about - I believe you should have turn by turn directions showing up in the DIS? I know when I test drove an A4 with RNS-D it did this - not knowing if the S8 DIS is the same style or not, wasn't if I'm (a) missing something obvious like pressing a button or (b) it's not been coded/connected properly to work?

I 'believe' the unit has a bluetooth module, but when I tried to connect my phone I couldn't find a menu option under 'tel' or 'setup' to search for my phone. I found an option to enter the PIN for bluetooth, but that's it. What usually happens when you press the 'tel' button if there is no bluetooth?

I stupidly forgot to press the TV button to find out if that worked......

I believe the unit was installed professionally but there's no receipt to show what was done or by whom....

Adrian
Old 12th December 2010, 06:50 PM

Welcome to the forum, unfortuantley when you upgrade to RNS E you loose DIS sat nav which is a real shame and the only downside of the upgrade. You still get radio and call info on there though.
Can't remember about setting up the Bluetooth but it was simple enough, think I just searched for the Bluetooth with my phone and selected the Audi one that came up, put in a code on the phone and then the same one on the RNS E and hey presto, it worked.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 13th December 2010, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the info - I suspected that was the case, but also thought it may have been down to laziness/ineptitude on the part of the installer. I'm guessing since the S8 DIS must've been a good couple of years ahead of the A4 level installation it has slightly different characteristics.

I think on the bluetooth front I wasn't helped by the dealer starting the car to get it out of the showroom so didn't get to fiddle before we were ushered out for our drive! Was worth it to stand behind the car when it was fired up down those Milltek pipes though

Just need to sort a price out and figure out how to stretch my garage by 3" while still giving me enough storage space....
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:31 PM

Not dirrectly OT, but stil might bee relevant. (atleast for us with multi-funcition steeringwheel) Wil the buttons stil work on the steeringwheel?
Old 26th January 2011, 10:15 AM

Yes they will, at least mine does...