A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 24th July 2010, 10:19 PM
alefustec

Default Need some help on connecting up a TV tuner to run an IPOD and digital TV..

Hi all,

I know there have been lots of posts on this subject, and I have tried to work it all out but admit I'm still a bit clueless....so would be really grateful if someone could answer these questions;

1. I have bose, but no TV tuner, so ordered one from A8 Parts........great and apparently this will enable an IPOD connection, but I want to run the IPOD connection into the arm rest where the phone is. Ideally I want to replace the phone cradle to hold an IPOD, with the connections (including enabling it to charge) coming from the same connection point where the phone currenty is.....is this doable?

2. I assume the tuner also lets me watch TV, but I'm guessing analogue - what do I need to get a digital reception and how do you go about allowing the TV to be on whilst driving.

Apologies for the probably stupid questions but I really have no clue...
Old 24th July 2010, 10:52 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Have a look through these you may find what you need.

Here is a photo of mkoneman's install..........

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 26th July 2010, 03:11 PM
alefustec

Brilliant - thats exactly what I'm looking to do, I'll take another trawl thru the threads and see if I can work it out.
Old 26th July 2010, 04:57 PM

Just a quick word of advice to avoid the dreaded 'Alternator whine'..

...for those that have run amplified installs before will know this.

For those of you who are lucky enough never to have been exposed to alternator whine, it sounds like a miniature siren that rises in pitch with the speed of the engine. Alternator whine is almost always caused by a ground loop.

Be sure to test your ipod sound before you put the interior back together ... i would test it at each stage of putting the interior back together by revving the engine whilst it's playing.

This should make sure it doesn't come up midway re-assemby.

I have this mod and it's brilliant so good luck!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 26th July 2010, 05:14 PM

I have my iphone mount where james has his ipod and have routed the apple 'composite TV lead' through my car. I took a ton of pics as i worked so there should be a few "how to guides" soon - but it sounds like you have it all under control. I havent quite finished my apply tv install yet (still to sort the USB power - orderd the last few bits today) but ive had the phone lead hooked up for a few months now.

My phone mount (launcher) is broken i think - as when the arm wrest gets to a certain point it comes out at warp speed, firing my phone into the passenger footwell. I assume its meant to be damped?
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 26th July 2010, 09:54 PM
alefustec

I recall reading one of the threads that mentioned the "alternator whine" but didn't really understand.........I still don't really (electrics of any description simply confuses me - my wife worries if I even wire a plug up), however, the main thing is I now know to check and sort it before putting the entire car insides back together, so thanks!!!
Old 26th July 2010, 10:01 PM
alefustec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

My phone mount (launcher) is broken i think - as when the arm wrest gets to a certain point it comes out at warp speed, firing my phone into the passenger footwell. I assume its meant to be damped?
Sounds broken to me......mine flips out when the rest is at about 45 degrees, I have to say its 'energetic' (hilarious when a passenger first noses inside to see whats there!), but it doesn't fly across the car. I was wondering as a neat mod, that when sorting the Ipod connection out that I could 'damp' the action so it sort of just glides out in a far more civilised manner..........I was even thinking (bear with me on this) that some sort of 'soft close' mechanism you get on furniture could be used to replace the spring?
Old 27th July 2010, 11:51 AM

Ive had it all installed for a couple of months now with no issues, I took some of it appart and reasembling it (trying to sort the usb charging - wasnt happy with it) I came on here and read about alternator whine.

Last night driving to my girlfriends i plugged in my iphone for the first time since putting it back together - there it is, an annoying whining noise. guess ive moved a signal cable too close to a power cable.
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 27th July 2010, 11:55 AM

I guess it is broken then - theres no way i coudl use the word 'flips' and 'enegertic' to describe it - its like a bullet, hitting the stops with a bit of bang (thus launching iphone from its cradle!).

I will strip it down and see whats broken. Any ideas how to remove it - i cant see any fasteners?!
The idea of it gliding out with audi quality, like the cupholder/dis control cover, grab handles, and rear coat hooks certainly appeals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefustec View Post
Sounds broken to me......mine flips out when the rest is at about 45 degrees, I have to say its 'energetic' (hilarious when a passenger first noses inside to see whats there!), but it doesn't fly across the car. I was wondering as a neat mod, that when sorting the Ipod connection out that I could 'damp' the action so it sort of just glides out in a far more civilised manner..........I was even thinking (bear with me on this) that some sort of 'soft close' mechanism you get on furniture could be used to replace the spring?

Old 27th July 2010, 07:37 PM
alefustec

remember reading a thread on this when I first started toying with the idea of replacing the phone with an Ipod.....try this thread (not sure if this link will work, so just search "phone cradle" in the threads and you will see one from "ufilias' which explains how it all comes apart;

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...t=phone+cradle