A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 9th March 2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian@A8Parts View Post
Is yours a 'normal' non-import xbox?

I find it hard to believe that Microsoft have 'assumed' that all PAL hardware can cope with 60hz, indeed most can, but its a pi** poor assumption to make if the games default to 60hz for a slightly improved picture quality (or not, in this case <doh>)

I've never had an xbox so I'm talking a bit blind here, but seems a bit shortsighted design wise...

What other outputs does the xbox have to play with? RF by any chance ?

Ian yer its UK spec, u can start up the xbox 360 on 50hz and watch dvd's but when u do games like forza 2 (car race game) click on start dvd drive to start game and comes up with your xbox360 is set to 50hz to play this game it needs to be set to 60hz.

For other out put u got hdi and thats it no RF. (RF on things like this is like going to find a record LP)
To top it all i picked kids up from school at 3.30 and just got back in at 6.45.
Some how the battery was flat wonder why? tells how much time i worked on car today tho LOL.
mmm hope campers warm tonight

Only other thing i worked out that might be problem, if u have xbox360 on 60hz and watch it on North USA xbox is b/w games r b/w dvd makes screen roll
is this because dvd is pal and this converter would cure this? if not its not a problem, as i got cunning plan to get everythink working, aslong as this box will cure the xbox been in b/w at 60hz on North USA.

If this dont work is the newer satnav 60hz??

UPDate
old xbox works fine.
wii same issue i got
ps3 same issue i got
ps2 dont know its got dark but ile update that tomorrow but ide say it will work fine

Last edited by A8 Owner; 9th March 2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 9th March 2009, 09:23 PM

Those boxes should sort it as they transcode the 60hz tv signal down to a 50hz one.

Yes.. M$ did kind of screw up a bit, but most tellies will do 60Hz PAL, but obviously it's aimed at Hi-Def.

In fact.... try setting it to hi-def, but choose a lower resolution and try the green pin.. see what happens (if not green, then one of the other two)
Old 11th March 2009, 09:39 PM

well i done it folks its took its time but been the first to do it always has it probs LOL i should know with me van and trailer. found lots of things about xbox that have been put in to car with after market screens but not the original sat nav.
quick run down ile do a better one so it can be made a sticky if wanted,

1 first the xbox 360 even before it went in it needs work if u want to do it right.
Need to get DVD drive out and under the laserput some sticky pad sponge, why u ask? Simple as the car bounce's about the disk will move in tray and poss cause scratching to disk so put the padsat bottom of drive to stop this.
if u have a thompson drive its been done.
so xbox 360 is ready.

2 next holder/ carrier havnt sorted this bit my self yet LOL

3 Power the xbox 360 in car most use a inverter that converts dc to ac for xbox 360 it can draw upto 300w. So safe with either a 500w or 600w.

3b Other option is dc to dc converter( as the xbox is 12vdc)
so if u have a inverter all u r doing is changing power from car 12dc to 240ac so u can convert it back to 12v dc for xbox if u go dc to dc converter put a power surge inline but saying that to be safe do it with both eve tho both ways should have one built in.

4 need the av input to the tuner

5 as u will see from above it isnt that easy ( lok above) u will need to find a way around one of the options above ive gone pal to ntsc, normal one might still give u problems still, as u can see above problems there were issues with uk and north USA. so wasnt sure if the pal to ntse converter would fix it all.
Thought i was going to havto use both av's on the tuner inputs
to go like this.
L/R/V cable from xbox to Y splitter 1 set of leads to the pal to ntsc convert then to av1 to tuner input (this would cure north USA black and white and be able to play games at 60hz but cant watch dvd's as they roll on screen.

second set of leads from Y splitter straight to tunner input av2 with screen set to UK that will cure not been able to play dvd's.
Bobs your uncle u got it all other than when u go on to UK need to put xbox setting back to 50hz.
As u can see lots of messing about so after a lot of hunting ive found a converter that will change any signal pal/nstc/ and others plus auto changes Hz's from 60hz to 50hz so now i can put the screen onto UK and ive got all working, but at a cost.
viedo below shows u me playing in car on xbox live wireless other plays didnt belive i was in my car playing this LOL. If u watch video im in the quattro winding up some guys in a scooby and evo. after teasing that and won race lol.
ile try and find away of making this make more sense and give links to the items u need.
Old 11th March 2009, 10:13 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Well done fella. I'll sticky this when you have finished it.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 11th March 2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Well done fella. I'll sticky this when you have finished it.
if some parts dont make sense or u can see a beeter way to say what im saying go ahead and edit this, i know what i mean as ive done it and seen how to if u know what i mean but might not make sense to others. i dont mind u doing it.
and later on i get to be sticky mmm lol
So if it should rain at meet 110% sure it wont but we could try how many u can get in a A8 to play xbox LOL
yer right wife would kill me and u lot already been told off for leaving stripped wire bits in boot.