A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 29th December 2012, 09:02 PM

Default Need help RE reversing camera

Hey all, I installed a reversing camera on my 8, unfortunately, I'm getting no signal or something. Basically, it isn't working.

Using this camera:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ge...4b72a5&vxp=mtr

I'm using this interface:

http://dietzshop.com/AUDI/AUDI-A3-Bj...E::209922.html

Here is the manual, second portion is English:

http://dietzshop.com/dokumente/1407-...eitung_D_E.pdf

I have everything wired as it should be according to the manual there. I have the camera getting power off the reverse lamps. I have power to the module coming from a constant hot feed to the RNS-E, one of the two red wires to the D plug on the unit. I have 12v from the reverse lamps running to the RSFL pin on the RNS-E. The unit is SW 200.

When trying to change adaption channel 4 to 1 from 0 it won't take the coding.

Do I need something to enable VIM? Is my power to the module not enough? What else could it be? I don't even show an input to the RNS-E when I try to manually switch to the camera. It is as though there is no camera at all.
Old 29th December 2012, 09:03 PM

Any other information I'd be glad to provide, I really want this to work.
Old 30th December 2012, 06:21 AM

not an expert on D2 tech, so may be completely wrong ... but the A8 isnt mentioned in the spec of available vehicles in the advert or the pdf, did you get any advice from them that it would be

and when you cant access an adaption or coding its usually because the module is the wrong part number as module 56 is your radio this is the rns-e unit.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 30th December 2012, 07:18 AM

I wouldn't think that would matter as RNS-E was never available in the D2, it's an A4 unit.
Old 30th December 2012, 07:23 AM

I can access the adaptation channel, but it won't save. In other words, on this screen, when I set the value to one and press to save, it doesn't save. Again, this is US version 200. I'd be willing to buy a European disc with a newer software version on it, so long as I could still install SDS and an AUX input.
Old 31st December 2012, 06:46 AM

Looks like I need a disc with newer firmware, need to run EU firmware SW0650 (0660 hack, actually for SDS). I'll then have to hack a US disc to make it work with the EU software. Anyone have a 2008-on set of discs they want to sell?
Old 31st December 2012, 01:41 PM

Why do you need European firmware? Just because of SDS? I believe you'll lose FM radio in this case since in Europe FM is modulated differently than in the US. If you insist, I can give you 660 SDS software. It is 19Mb ZIP file. Are you going to install MFSW for the PTT (Push To Talk button) to activate that SDS? Alternatively, are you going to purchase a box that will inject PPT signal into Audi infortainment can bus? RSN-E only recognises PTT button via can bus.

In terms of your setup not working:

1. Have you coded RNS-E properly? If you have reversing camera you should code RNS-E for 'TV tuner' I guess. This is because reversing camera works like TV tuner I believe.

2. I would wire camera to ignition switched +12V. You can borrow it from parking assist ECU. Black/Blue wire if I remember correctly. Camera will work full time, but it won't have to warm up when you switch reverse on. I also believe you'll be able to watch the 'camera' channel in normal driving mode for the fun of it.

3. I don't like this Dietz thing. For automatic switching to rear view camera the reverse signal must be available on the CAN Bus -- This is what page 12 of the manual claims. But on A8 D2s reverse signal is not available on can bus. It is only available on separate wire as analog signal. It is possible to get a box that will take analog signal from reverse wire and will inject reverse signal can bus message to infortainment can bus when needed. But I don't know where to get that box since Bjarne stopped manufacturing his cangates.

Buy hybrid TV tuner (you'll get digital tv and to AV inputs), connect tv tuner to RNS-e, code rns-e for tv tuner, connect reversing camera to AV1 of TV tuner. Connect your additional front/rear view camera or DVD player or iPhone or whatever to AV2 of TV tuner. This is what I did. But I have no idea if it'll work with US RNS-E to be honest.

Right now when you put your car on reverse I assume you see black screen now. This is because:
* your stock A8 D2 reversing wire is connected to RNS-E
* RNS-E is coded for TV tuner
* RNS-E was configured via adaptation channel for automatic switching to TV input when reversing is engaged
* When reversing is engaged RNS-E switches screen to video input. You have dietz thing on the other end of that video input
* The dietz thing is waiting for reversing message on Audi infortainmnet can bus to switch camera on (or, to switch video from blank signal to camera input -- depends on how the damn thing actually works. Manual is crap.)
* The dietz thing waits forever since there is no reverse can message on Audi infortainmnet can bus.
Hence you should see black screen when reverse is engaged.

Please study/inquire operating logic of diets thing. Can you put it into 'through' mode so what it always sends signal from the camera to RNS-E and not only when reverse singnal is present on Audi infortainmnet can bus? When no reverse message is present on can bus what picture it sends to RNS-E? It is hardcoded for blank screen or perhaps it has AV input when not in reversing mode? If it has a separate AV input to connect camera to that input, and not to reversing camera input. Perhaps picture from that input is broadcasted when not in reversing mode...

Hope it helps.

Last edited by notorious; 31st December 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 31st December 2012, 05:32 PM

Didn't read all that yet, but EU firmware doesn't change the FM signal, this is a fairly common thing to do over here to unlock several features. I can't have a reversing cam and AUX input on the same version of US firmware, for example. SDS too isn't possible onUS firmware.
Old 31st December 2012, 05:36 PM

Read the rest now, I emailed Bjarne about cangate last night, waiting on reply. My unit isn't auto switching now though because it wouldn't take the adaptation change. Not too sure why that was.
Old 31st December 2012, 06:01 PM

Let me know if you need 660 firmware. Perhaps the best approach would be to email it as attachment.

**I think** dietz 1407 is designed for cars where reversing signal is in can bus only. It means that dietz takes reversing signal from canbus and converts it to analog signal. Then it sends that analog signal via separate wire to RNS-E since RNS-E 'understands' analog reversing signal only. Please check your wiring supplied with dietz to verify this hypothesis.

Now in A8 D2 you already have analog reversing wire which I expect you already connected to RNS-E reversing pin. So you don't need the help of dietz with analog reversing signal. The only thing you need from dietz is to split classic video signal from camera into R,G,B, Vsync, Hsync separate signals stuff and send them to RNS-E via separate analog wires. RNS-E will handle all switching.

Things to try:

* Connecting reversing wire directly to RNS-E and hope that dietz is smart enough to always send camera signal in RNS-E direction.
* If dietz sends signal from camera only in case it sees reversing signal on can bus then emulate can bus reversing signal for dietz with Bjarne's cangate box (or similar solution)
* Throw away dietz and buy a generic box that converts camera signal to R,G,B, Vsync, Hsync stuff.
* Buy Audi Hybrid tuner. It will do exactly what I told + will give you additional AV + digital TV capabilities.

Last edited by notorious; 31st December 2012 at 06:11 PM.