A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 7th March 2015, 11:28 AM

I would heed caution doing the tops unless vital as the pinch bolt can be a royal pita ( my s8 had Alu upright so rust weld not present) and cld turn it into a major job if things don't go according to plan.
Old 7th March 2015, 12:30 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasiliangringo View Post

What makes you think they need replacing ? What wear cld you detect ?
The car is just beginning to feel less tight than it should, and there's a slight knocking over rough surfaces now. It's had a few new arms, bushes, tie-rods, etc over the last few years, mostly of unknown quality, so I just wanted to renew everything and start from a known-good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasiliangringo View Post
I would heed caution doing the tops unless vital as the pinch bolt can be a royal pita ( my s8 had Alu upright so rust weld not present) and cld turn it into a major job if things don't go according to plan.
Thanks for the warning, but I won't be doing the job myself. At one time I would've done. I used to do most of the work myself many years ago, but I have a number of garages that I do work (IT support) for these days, so that'll be their problem. I'll stick to fixing their computers
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th March 2015, 04:50 PM

Even so beware and unless they have Audi experience they will equally be unaware. If they are properly stuck the whole upright will need to be removed from the car and or possibly replaced if removing the pinch bolt is impossible or damage is done to it during the process. All of which could, I say could as you may be fine but could rack up a hefty bill. Some bolts I have removed are fine (my old s8) then have done them on a4 b5s and took some industrial action to remove.
Old 7th March 2015, 05:07 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Thanks.

I might tell to leave the top ones in that case, if they look like they don't need replacing.

Just to be clear, assuming I've got the right diagram here, which ones are we talking about?:

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th March 2015, 07:06 PM

10 and 8. If it aint broke dont fix it sort of thing.

The pinch bolt is 25a in the diagram. IF you have an S8 it will have ALu upright (for weight saving) and you will not have a problem removing it. Only an issue with the steel ones.

I also have no idea how to make the picture appear not as a thumbnail ?!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-03-07 at 19.57.27.png
Views:	428
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	10298  

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 7th March 2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 8th March 2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
IF you have an S8 it will have ALu upright (for weight saving) and you will not have a problem removing it. Only an issue with the steel ones.
I would disagree with this, aluminium ones are less likely to be corroded but if they are corroded it will be a lot harder to get them out then from steel hubs.

You can always use heat to try and free them up or drill them out if that does not help, no need to replace the whole hub.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 8th March 2015, 09:33 AM

Mine is aluminium and is 3.0 TDI - I thought all D3 had aluminium.
They were very stuck in due to galvanic corrosion of the dissimilar metals + salt.

Most of the bolt's length is plain (not threaded) shank and after shearing the head off, I was able to knock it in a fair way with an air chisel. I then drilled most of it out which made it reed shape. The air chisel moving it made enough threads stick out the end where the nut was - to enable a big washer and two good new nuts to be put on with lots of grease. What I could then do was to righten the two nuts against the washer - this pulled the rest of the bolt out. Aluminium didn't seem damaged. Don't heat the aluminium with a torch like you would steel as it may melt or weaken it.
This must have taken a few days though as I was searching google, going to work and buying tools and new nuts etc. If I had the facilities of a commercial workshop at the first sign of stubbornness, I would remove the whole strut but in doing so you may as well change all upper and lower.

But not having these, if I was to do it myself again, I would use the drill much earlier on as that was the turning point of it budging.

New parts and bolts were slavered in waxoyl type spray.

Last edited by snapdragon; 8th March 2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 8th March 2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
or drill them out if that does not help, no need to replace the whole hub.
Drilling with a hand drill is a nightmare in situ and honestly going down the drilling route that will leave you with your sanity would require it to be done with a bench drill of sorts and removing the strut. The point about replacing it can be an issue if its stuck fast or damage has occurred in the frustration of trying to remove the bolt - 1st hand experience as have sold them for this reason.

There is a special VAG tool for doing these bolts. The other workshop tool out there is like wrapping a flexible kettle element around the top of the hub, which heats it to huge temperature and expands the outer casing and breaks the bond. I have not used one or seen it in action but have heard they are effective from one source, obviously same idea as heat which is the 1st thing to try imo.

Last edited by brasiliangringo; 8th March 2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 8th March 2015, 11:01 AM

A lot of garages have some kind of localised freezing kit as well, to make the bolt contract more relative to the hub. Mine on my D2 were done using that method and both sides were done in an hour (just upper 4)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th March 2015, 04:23 PM

Thumbs down

Left click on this attachment:-

How 2 Do It Enlarge a Thumbnail.pdf

Click the "OK" in the "Open With" box, (this will use Adobe to display the attachment).
You should, if I have done something correct for once, learn how to enlarge the picture!!!
Sorry to all those who already know this sort of thing, and all the complicated short cuts, but I try to remember that there is always someone out there who needs help.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)