Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 7th February 2018, 10:52 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Default Falcon Heavy

For anyone who missed the launch last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCc16uozHVE

How fantastic was that!!

The Tesla roadster was a great touch, especially with the little "Don't Panic" tribute to Douglas Adams on the dashboard.

The centre booster didn't quite make it. Very nearly though. It fell just 300ft short of the drone ship after 2 out of the 3 rockets failed to fire. Other than that, an almost perfect flight and controlled landing of the side boosters.

I'm beginning to think all of SpaxceX's names are puns. To begin with SpaceX sounds like 'Space Sex' but, after watching the launch of the Falcon Heavy, I'm sure the mission control guys were calling it "F*cking Heavy". I thought maybe I misheard until I learned about the BFR: https://www.space.com/38393-spacex-b...cket-name.html
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th February 2018, 11:19 AM

Watched it live, quite impressive. Missed the Don't Panic though!

But if you think that's awesome with its 27 engines look up the Rocketdyne F-1. The fuel pump alone for that ran at 41MW.
And of course 5 of them made up the first stage of the Saturn-V. Just two would have significantly more thrust than the whole Falcon heavy.

Designed over 60 years ago and as far as I know never failed in service.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th February 2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 7th February 2018, 11:52 AM

Here's the Star man live stream from within the Tesla. Pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO3h4FBLWqY

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roadster.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	17890  

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 7th February 2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:27 PM

Peak Elon
Old 7th February 2018, 01:15 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Watched it live, quite impressive. Missed the Don't Panic though!

But if you think that's awesome with its 27 engines look up the Rocketdyne F-1. The fuel pump alone for that ran at 41MW.
And of course 5 of them made up the first stage of the Saturn-V. Just two would have significantly more thrust than the whole Falcon heavy.

Designed over 60 years ago and as far as I know never failed in service.
The Saturn-V certainly takes some beating as an achievement, especially considering how primitive the technology was at the time!

I think the impressive thing about Falcon Heavy though, is that not only is it the largest rocket in use today but that it's re-usable (how cool was the landing of those boosters!?), which now makes it the cheapest way to launch large payloads (by far). What's perhaps even more impressive is that this was primarily achieved through private investment.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th February 2018, 01:28 PM

I'm not massively into stuff like this but this was truly awesome!