A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 25th February 2014, 10:33 PM

Default What windscreen to choose?

Courtesy of an unfriendly stone I now have a crack right in the driver's side of the windscreen.

I have a choice of Guardian (who I note were the manufacturers of the original), or Pilkington. Both would be the acoustic version.
Which would you choose for your £65 ?
Old 25th February 2014, 10:55 PM

Pilkington are also oem to BMW, Mercedes, Both of them are good imo.
Old 28th February 2014, 05:48 PM

Pilkington. My Guardian is quite distorted, but the previous Pilkington and Saint Gobain weren't.
I think Saint Gobain SEKURIT were the original suppliers - they are for the side and rear windows.
You can tell if your windscreen is original as it will have Audi logo and the year of manufacture is encoded with dots.
e.g.
.....7 = Aug 2006
6... = March 2006
The above is what I remember, but if wrong is not far off, the dots are months before or after the change of year denoted by the digit.

Last edited by snapdragon; 28th February 2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 1st March 2014, 12:17 AM

Yup, I've asked for the Pilkington.

Existing is Guardian, and the original Audi embossed screen, as is the back although as you say sides are St.Gobian.

Fitting due next Tuesday. Was actually due last tuesday too, but the one he turned up with had a large scratch on it! FOr £65, I want a perfect one thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 02:10 PM

Get an Audi screen fitted by them, at least i did recently no extra cost but you need to ask insurers. Aftermarket windscreens can be dodgy esp with the double glazed A8 i would not be getting anything other than OEM spec. Bit like Kellogs making cornflakes for Tesco, but they are not quite the same sometimes
Old 2nd March 2014, 03:00 PM

Lots of members have reported issues with creaking after new screen installations. You need to ensure that the correct foam? adhesive spacer is used. Presumably Audi are more likely to get this right
Old 2nd March 2014, 03:12 PM

Windscreens are always trouble some even if Audi do it. The average dealership probably has less experience (speculation here) fitting them than auto-glass which may have an effect but with a dealer you can be sure about quality of screen which should mean a better fit even if they lack as much fitting experience. As said id be getting mine done at the dealer through insurance (as have done).