A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th May 2010, 07:44 PM

Default chrome cleaning

i know some of us out there are having some problems with our chrome trims. i have recently made some enquiries to either replace my existing trims or have them renovated. my first port of call was to ring the main stealers and ask how much to replace them. now i was supprised and shocked at the prices. if you want a straight trim like on your doors or the center one on your boot then the cost is quite resonable at about £20 each. if you require a trim with a bend in it like the ones on the outside edges of your bumper then they are well over £100 each. so if you have most of your trims in a bad condition like i do then you could be looking at spending best part of a grand buying new from the dealers.
now it seams the problem is all the chrome trims are covered in lacquer and moisture buildup between the lacquer and chrome causes a milky effect as shown hear on mine in the first photo.

after speaking to a few people i have come up with the answer to the problem. remove the lacquer, polish the chrome and re-lacquer the trims. problem solved
if only it was that simple. first question how the hell do you remove the lacquer without damaging the chrome ? do you take off all the trims without damaging any of them or damaging the bodywork ? what size crowbar or pick axe do you use to get them off i dont know yet the best way to do it but i am working on it.
Today i recieved a chrome trim from a8part that had the slight milky effect on it. this i decided to have a go at sorting it out. its better to sort out a second hand one than trying a load of different ways on the ones on my car just in case something goes wrong. anyway i put some masking tape on different sections and dug out some polish.

the first section i used autoglym metal polish and applied by hand. after some time with a lot of elbow grease it started to come clean. on the second section i used some cutting compound and finishing compound applied by hand, again similar results. third section i used same compounds with a dual action polisher. that idea just caused deep scratches. the fourth section i used meguiars nxt generation all metal polysh. now this seamed to come up pretty good. tha last section i used auto glym fast glass and this did nothing at all.

as you can see from this photo with the tape removed there is still the milky effect under where the tape has been.

this is the same trim with the section shown using the nxt metal polysh.
now the project is just in the early stages and my ultimate plan is to do all my trims around the car and to get them polished with a new coat of lacquer. i will let you know how it is going as and when i get some more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100504_0032.jpg
Views:	3254
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1059   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100504_0073.jpg
Views:	2399
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1060   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100504_0133.jpg
Views:	3211