A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 30th January 2019, 12:47 PM

Hello, I took my headlights out and found the reflector bowls are no longer reflective. They are a dull matt beige. Our bi-xenons are Hella Gen4 and are renowned for this problem. Utter cheap and nasty garbage unfortunately.

Mine looked exactly like the ones here... at ~3:57
https://youtu.be/4ImcKD5SByw?t=238

Not sure what it would take to get our German crap out and replace with decent chinese parttern parts
There is enough room for it to withdraw from behind but not sure if all the screws are at the front and hidden. I hadn't seen this video until I had put my own lights back.

Last edited by snapdragon; 30th January 2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 30th January 2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I'm wondering if your projectors in your headlights are fubarred - I know that Trups at EM Tuning offers a morimoto conversion to update existing headlight units for D3's and would love to do that with mine one day, not sure of the cost per pair of headlights or how long he needs them for though
Well, just ventured outside to check my lights. The dipped beam (outer bulb) is bright white in colour, and the high beam (inner bulb) is a yellow colour, almost the colour that snapdragon said about his reflectors. Maybe the reason for thinking my high beam was fine is because it's four lights and not two. Shows how much I know about my own lights.

Might invest in a set of the one's linked to on xenonbulbs anyway. Would it be okay to just change one bulb so I can see the difference between old and new (won't be driving on the road, just a driveway check, covering each bulb in turn)?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 30th January 2019, 07:53 PM

Most Audi bi-xenons of the generations I see have a separate halogen bulb for main beam as well as the xenon bulb with the hood over it. That's why you have nice white dipped beam and yellow main beam as it turns the halogen on as well.
Old 31st January 2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Most Audi bi-xenons of the generations I see have a separate halogen bulb for main beam as well as the xenon bulb with the hood over it. That's why you have nice white dipped beam and yellow main beam as it turns the halogen on as well.
My D2 A8 has Xenons rather than Xenon pluses and I would say that white dipped beam and a more yellowy main beam (which on mine is just halogen) describes what mine are like. . . I prefer the halogen main beam and the light it puts out to the full bi-xenons on the D3's as it feels like the main beam is better on the single xenons. . . perhaps the D3 headlights just get worse more quickly!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 31st January 2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
My D2 A8 has Xenons rather than Xenon pluses and I would say that white dipped beam and a more yellowy main beam (which on mine is just halogen) describes what mine are like. . . I prefer the halogen main beam and the light it puts out to the full bi-xenons on the D3's as it feels like the main beam is better on the single xenons. . . perhaps the D3 headlights just get worse more quickly!
Not just the D3, many Audi's of that era! My old S4 the lights were so dim I wondered if there were actually on, turned out the reflective dishes were not very reflective any more! I had replacement bi-xenon projectors fitted (from Lexus I believe) and it was like daylight after that!
Old 31st January 2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah those are single xenon, not 'bi-xenon' and so don't have the hood to switch between dip and main. You have a xenon in a projector housing for dip and a halogen in a flood housing for main.

Ironically my A6 bi-xenons are better than any D2 headlight
Old 28th February 2019, 11:49 PM

Attachment 20919

Another example of the issue.

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 09:18 AM.