A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 23rd August 2016, 01:52 PM

Default One touch windows

Hi Guys,
Looking for some help with my one touch window operation.
The drivers side window goes up & down when you hold the button.
There is a slight knock when it goes down and again when you raise it.
The one touch does not work on this window.
The remaining other three windows all work as they should with the one touch feature.
My question is, would the window motor cause this or would it be a faulty window mechanism in the drivers door, hence the slight knock.

Another point worth mentioning is the fact that the total window closure/opening feature on the remote control works on all other windows except the drivers door.
Any help much appreciated
David
Sony rear entertainment package.
Bose sound system.
Audi Navigation Plus.
20 inch Final Edition alloys
Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble :
1997 A8 Quattro Sport - Now sold when S8 FE purchased
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:53 PM

David

Have you tried resetting the one touch for the drivers door? From memory, you need to hold the button until it goes all the way down. Then hold the button until it goes all the way up.

My drivers window sometimes gives a slight knock when raising it. I bought one from the forum sponsors, but haven't taken the door card off to see what the problem is yet. Apart from the motor itself, there was a mention somewhere about the runners needing lubricated (or at least cleaned of debris).

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd August 2016, 09:25 PM

+1 Definitly sounds like it's lost its position. I'm sure the reset procedure is hold until up and continue to hold. And then hold down and continue to hold.

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.
Old 23rd August 2016, 09:34 PM

We tried that - no difference

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:07 PM

Is there any resistance on the window? Again, I've noticed on the odd occasion when I use the one touch to make it go down, it gets about half way and then stops.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 24th August 2016, 06:49 AM

Nope, apart from the clunk mentioned it goes up and down perfectly smoothly and doesn't require any additional actions to get it to open or close.

I suspect until the door card is removed it'll be difficult to determine the source, but we were confused about where the 1 touch function originates electrically to understand potential sources of the problem. If it's all self-contained within the motor then I guess that's the only option as a part to change?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 24th August 2016, 07:43 AM

One touch power windows look for an overload current to the motor which occurs when the window hits resistance or its end stop.
The 'lower window and hold the button down' setting sequence allows the sensor to reference this overload current and know when to stop.

If there is an impediment in the process, e.g something jamming the mechanism then the system sees an overload and stops.
It may be that the current sensor has failed or the impediment is very close to the start of a raise cycle.

Does the one touch work if the window is already half open or closed?

Where this occurs depends on the car. On most older japanese cars the drivers window switch has a little circuit card inside that takes care or this. In my old p38 range rover it was stored in the body control module.

Haven't delved that far into audi electrics yet to find out more yet

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk