A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 14th June 2020, 12:40 AM

Default Starting engine after sitting for a long time?

My S8 has been sitting for awhile and I haven't started up the car. I'm hoping to finish my fuel pump job tomorrow and get it started up and I'm a little concerned as these engines are Alusil and might cause damage?! Any suggestions?
Old 14th June 2020, 08:09 AM

How long has it been stood for?
Old 14th June 2020, 08:39 AM

You'll likely get some noise from the top end as the tensioners and hydraulic lifters may have settled, but as soon as it gets oil pressure it should be just fine.

If you charge the battery you could disconnect the fuel pump and spin it on the starter until it has oil pressure, then reconnect the pump and start it. That way it makes fewer horrid noises on startup. 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off for the starter if you're going to do that so it doesn't get too hot. It'll probably take 3-4 goes to build up pressure and you'll hear when it does.
Old 14th June 2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
How long has it been stood for?
I don't remember exactly but have to guess it was late January or early February of this year. I don't plan on driving this car in the winter as there is to many idiot drivers that don't know how to drive in the snow and don't want them sliding into such a nice car.
Old 14th June 2020, 09:55 PM

Mine was stood for about 5 months whilst I have been doing some suspension work. Bear in mind she has brand new chain tensioners and oil retention valves that have only done 2000mls or so. Under normal regular use I don't hear any chain rattle at all.

On first startup after this downtime she did rattle. For about 3 or 4 seconds on the chains but I could hear a lifter tick for about 3 minutes, until things warmed up a little. Now, everything is fine again and no rattles / ticks at all.

Unless you invest in some kind of engine pre-oiler, expect some rattle. MJ's advice is solid, do what you can to get some oil around the system before starting if you can.
Old 14th June 2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
You'll likely get some noise from the top end as the tensioners and hydraulic lifters may have settled, but as soon as it gets oil pressure it should be just fine.

If you charge the battery you could disconnect the fuel pump and spin it on the starter until it has oil pressure, then reconnect the pump and start it. That way it makes fewer horrid noises on startup. 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off for the starter if you're going to do that so it doesn't get too hot. It'll probably take 3-4 goes to build up pressure and you'll hear when it does.
I'll keep this in mind once I figure out my new fuel pump issue that I caused
Old 5th August 2022, 11:15 AM

I usually make sure the engine is run every other day (as it is not a daily driver) but after the car was sitting for two weeks (away with work) it was merrily ticking away. 4 minutes idling and things quietened down. Gentle tootle culminating in an Eyetahlean tune up did the trick.

Funnily enough I never noticed this with my previous 2.8 V6
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!