A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 9th May 2016, 12:30 AM

Default Front bumper and Parking Sensor removal

Hey guys, I decided to write up a guide on how to remove the front bumper. I had to take mine off in order to replace a faulty parking sensor. For some reason the front right sensor kept causing a malfunction in the PDC system. VCDS brought up the following error code:

Then I had a quick look at the measuring blocks and noticed that the sensor was performing below specifications compared to the others…

So I figured the best bet is to replace the sensor completely. I acquired a genuine one from ebay brand new primed (Part Number 7H0 919 275 C). I colour coded it to Oyster Grey and finished it off with some 2k lacquer. I kept the spray coats thin so it doesn’t affect the operation of the sensor.

Taking the bumper off on the D3 isn’t so difficult; however because Audi have over engineered this car, you have to remove quite a few items in order to get to the 3 bolts which attached the bumper to the wings on each side. You have to remove both front wheels, the front section of the wheel liners to have a good clear access to the bolts. I got myself a set of gel knee pads seeing as I will be on my knees for a long time…I strongly suggest a pair to greatly reduce any risks of injury and for your comfort too.

1st step is to drain out the window/headlight washer tank. Reason I suggest to do this 1st as in the past when I took out the bumper I accidentally damaged the hose to the headlight washers and they snapped in half. I had to repair it by using a 4mm straight connector after dipping both ends to repair in boiling water to soften them so I can easily join them with the connector.

Make sure you have an empty 5L container to collect all the fluid. Start by removing the driver side fog light bracket.

These two clips retain the bumper harness and washer hose together. Push it out then you’ll be able to pull it out while lifting that part of the bumper upwards.

Have you container ready as the fluid will pour out as soon as you disconnect it.

Draining will take 5 minutes… so while that takes place we can start jacking the car and take the wheels off. Firstly put the car in Lift Mode followed by Jacking Mode On in the setup menu of CAR. This is so that the car doesn't decide to level itself while it is being jacked up.

Undo these two grip pins (Part number: 4A0 805 121 C, you will the following with it too: Retaining washer 4A0 805 137 A). Both sides of the wheel liners follow the same instructions.

Undo the screws

Undo the 4 spreader rivets with a torx screwdriver. Do not push the pin inwards too much as you will loose it for good otherwise. They can be reused once they are taken off but not if you loose the pin. It’s a good idea to keep some spares (Part number: 4D0 807 300)

We can then go ahead and pull down the wheel liner

Here the bolts we need to remove on each side using a Size 10mm socket. You need a ratchet with an extension to get to them properly.

Now once the bolts are taken off, I suggest to mask the edges of the wing panel and bottom of the bumper as the securing pin from the bumper can cause damage to the paint work should you find yourself struggling to get it off.

There are 3 more brown bolts to remove under the bumper, I didn’t get a chance to take pictures of that. You need to use a big sized flat head screw driver to get them off. It secures the bumper and the undertray to the radiator housing frame.

Also take off the 5 x torx 25 and 2 x torx 30 screws on the top of the bumper.

Once all is that done, check if all the washer fluid has been drained and set aside. You can start taking the bumper off by pulling out the bottom by the wing panel on both sides. After that pull the bumper forwards but watch out for the harness connectors. Have a flat head screwdriver to prise them out of the bracket on the bumper so you can disconnect them with ease.

Faulty sensor to be replaced (Front right one). Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of this step however it’s very easy. Just pull up the tabs holding the sensor down and slide it out then disconnect the connector. Installation is in reverse… just slide it back in till it clicks into place.

Once all that was done, I fired up VCDS and turned on the PDC system. Measuring blocks showed everything in order.

Then it was the task of putting everything back together which is all done in reverse order.

If I missed anything guys, let me know and I’ll add it. I hope this guide comes handy for others.

Currently:
2015 Audi A8 4H Sport Executive Quattro in Monsoon Grey

Last edited by neeldub; 10th May 2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 9th May 2016, 10:12 AM

Well done.
Really useful for a newbie.
When I first had my 8 I gave up dropping the bumper and managed to get my hand up to the sensor but please do not ask me to repeat the rather loud and nasty words that I used.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Last edited by tc4332; 9th May 2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 9th May 2016, 07:07 PM

Thanks - great write up and pictures, added to sticky at the top of this section for future reference
My only point to add is that lift mode should be enabled and then jacking mode set to "on" before you start jacking due to the air suspension sensors needing to be told of the upcoming jacking that is about to take place

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 10th May 2016, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Thanks - great write up and pictures, added to sticky at the top of this section for future reference
My only point to add is that lift mode should be enabled and then jacking mode set to "on" before you start jacking due to the air suspension sensors needing to be told of the upcoming jacking that is about to take place
Edited.. thanks for pointing it out

Currently:
Old 10th May 2016, 01:16 AM

good write up budz. one of my sensor I replaced is playing up again (fleabay job) just word of advice to others dont put copy sensors as they are bad quality. How much was the original one you purchased?
ta

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 10th May 2016, 06:54 PM

Thanks neeldub, that's a great article and pictures.
I need to replace my low-tone horn fanfare and this info. will be what I use to get the bumper off. Although I see from your photo I may be able to give it a sharp prod through a hole in the upper grill and maybe it will fix it as it started off just sounding like a strangled duck.
Old 10th May 2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Thanks neeldub, that's a great article and pictures.
I need to replace my low-tone horn fanfare and this info. will be what I use to get the bumper off. Although I see from your photo I may be able to give it a sharp prod through a hole in the upper grill and maybe it will fix it as it started off just sounding like a strangled duck.
mine just did that too, just in time for the duck hunting season lol

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 11th May 2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-M3 View Post
good write up budz. one of my sensor I replaced is playing up again (fleabay job) just word of advice to others dont put copy sensors as they are bad quality. How much was the original one you purchased?
ta
I was able to buy a brand new sensor for £30 on ebay.. Part Number 7H0 919 275 C Genuine VAG

Currently:
Old 12th May 2016, 05:41 AM

i got an original on ebay too, think that was around the same price as neeldubs

i still have it somewhere, when i went to fix it turned out to be a wire off.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 14th May 2016, 08:38 PM

Hopefully my next guide will be on how to remove the rear bumper

Currently: