A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 6th November 2019, 04:41 PM

Default Leaking Back Window

My very lovely A8 has started letting water into the boot. I have discovered that the back window - the heated rear windscreen, not a side glass, is pretty much unstuck on one side and moves visibly when pushed from inside.

Has anyone done a removal and reseal? I have looked at the process on ElsaWin and have obtained a new rubber edge trim and some thin foam strips.

I have stripped out the interior roof trims, but the parcel shelf needs the back seat to come out, Is this really the case?

Thanks for reading...
Old 6th November 2019, 08:40 PM

Maybe worth paying a fitter, a doubt they would need to remove the shelf, probably use a cheese wire cutting tool in with it in situ?
Old 7th November 2019, 12:01 PM

Despite what Elsa says, it's not necessary to remove the rear parcel shelf. I know this because of an incident I had with my rear windscreen.

As Paul mentions, they use a cheese wire cutting tool to cut through the seal. It attaches to the window via suction, the wire is wrapped around the edge under the edge of the window, and then wound in.

The remaining sealant then has to be cleaned off the metalwork, and a black liquid applied to the surface (I think this helps the sealant adhere). The sealant is then applied (about half an inch high in a triangular shape) on top of this, and finally the window placed on top.

Having watched the man from Autoglass do it, I would highly recommend paying someone to do it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 7th November 2019, 01:30 PM

Pretty sure there was a recall or TSB about this on a smallish range of VINs. No doubt too late to do anything now other than have it carefully removed and refitted, or just pay insurance excess for glass which is normally £75-90 and have it replaced with new.
Old 24th November 2019, 08:24 PM

many thanks for all who have replied. was not looking forward to taking the seat and shelf out.
not going to diy this one. have got the names of a couple of independent fitters who will be getting a call from me this week...
Old 25th November 2019, 10:25 AM

Please post back and let us know how much an independent fitter charges for removal and refit/reseal of the rear windscreen.

Useful to know
Old 25th November 2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Owl View Post
have got the names of a couple of independent fitters who will be getting a call from me this week...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT D3 View Post
Please post back and let us know how much an independent fitter charges for removal and refit/reseal of the rear windscreen.
It might be worth getting a quote from them first, as getting it replaced under your car insurance 'may' be cheaper. I had mine replaced through my car insurance at a cost of £75, and it didn't affect my premiums, but check your policy as well before considering it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds