A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Owners Meets

Owners Meets Any info for any meetings, events, track days

Old 8th February 2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Great idea!

Should we call you tc007 or Ray Bond (licenced to pollute)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5FhlzDYl-M

Do you have a switch that releases oil onto the road too?

(actually, I think most 8s of a certain age probably do that automatically)
That was him, although much blacker and a lot faster.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th February 2019, 08:55 AM

I don't want to be a spoiler or anything Ray but :
[quote=MikkiJayne;145860]

I will be opening the workshop in Copplestone for lunch, banter, and car washing, then from mine we will travel along the spectacular A39 North Cornwall route before joining the A30 at Newquay.

Mike will be opening his garden in Ashburton for lunch and banter, then from there will travel along the A38 Southern route, joining the A30 at Bodmin.

The faster route for those who don't want to stop is to take the M5 to Exeter and straight down the A30.

From the A30 we head in to the heart of Cornwall via Truro to Falmouth.

There will be Cornish Pasties and Cream Tea at some point, and remember - the Cornish way is cream on top

I'm just wondering where you'll be hitting the A39, because if it's before my house i'll supply the pasties is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
It's on the way from Falmouth (made in Penryn) already:

Ok so if you're getting them there i need not bother. But just so you know you'll not get Devon pasties as soon as you get into Cornwall, they're a bit funny about it for some reason.

Edit: just seen it says "Stopping for Cornish pasties at some point" i'll get my coat

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 13th February 2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:02 PM

Confusion reigns.
My plans are:-
  1. Thursday drive down to the New Inn at Coleford for an overnight stay.
  2. Friday morning drive to MJ's workshop for banter.
  3. After banter set up a convoy run with MJ leading to a pastie stop
  4. Once pasties are consumed a bit more driving followed by cream on top.
  5. With stuffed tummies continue the drive to Falmouth.
I think that is the approximate sequence of events.
Sean is planning on joining Jordan and I on Thursday evening.

Unless of course, as is quite possible, I have got it completely wrong.
In which case do not blame me it is the leprechauns fault, or the Cornwellian equivalent.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 13th February 2019, 08:13 PM

I was planning on doing a non-themed lunch at the workshop and then setting off, since we will have opportunity for pasties while we're in Cornwall with the whole group. Of course if the workshop contingent wants pasties on Friday as well then I shan't object

Dezzy - the route plan at the moment is either up the 386 to Bideford and then down the 39, or possible straight across to Bude via Holsworthy. I need to refresh my memory of the latter, plus it'll depend on how large the convoy is. A few months to decide on that though
Old 13th February 2019, 09:11 PM

I'm with you MJ.
Whatever you decide.
I'm usually in charge of 50 odd folk so it will be a nice change to follow somebody else.

The "odd folk" is open to personal interpretation.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 14th February 2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I was planning on doing a non-themed lunch at the workshop and then setting off, since we will have opportunity for pasties while we're in Cornwall with the whole group. Of course if the workshop contingent wants pasties on Friday as well then I shan't object

Dezzy - the route plan at the moment is either up the 386 to Bideford and then down the 39, or possible straight across to Bude via Holsworthy. I need to refresh my memory of the latter, plus it'll depend on how large the convoy is. A few months to decide on that though

Ok thats the ticket, so if you do come down to Bideford, then shout and i'll supply Devon pasties for the masses as you'll have to pass me on your way down A39. If you go via Holsworthy then you'll bypass me is all.

I've been travelling to Exeter for work and been going the other way, past your place to Morchard Bishop, B220 - Winkley as it's a better road than 386 i hate going though Meeth, Merton ect. From yours to Bow - Winkley is the other option for hitting the A39.
The Ming Blue 8 looked nice the other day with a sprinkle of snow over it.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 14th February 2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
I'm with you MJ.
Whatever you decide.
I'm usually in charge of 50 odd folk so it will be a nice change to follow somebody else.
I'm with you on this one Ray, otherwise I'd just be following the sat-nav instructions. Much better with a personal tour guide.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 14th February 2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I'm with you on this one Ray, otherwise I'd just be following the sat-nav instructions. Much better with a personal tour guide.

Nice one Sean.
I'll see you at The New Inn on the Thursday evening.

Old 12th March 2019, 11:26 AM

Following our recce at the weekend, we now have a plan for the Saturday:

We plan to leave the hotel at 09:30 and head West to Lands End - the most Westerly point in the UK.

The journey is around an hour so we will stop for an hour for photos, coffees etc. There is a nice cafe overlooking the sea, the famous sign post, and a few shops to look at. Parking is £4 on arrival.

From Lands End, we then head to Porthcurno - home of the famous Minack Theatre and also the Telegraph Museum.

The Minack is an open-air amphitheatre which is quite literally carved out of the cliff face. There is a visitor's centre with lots of information and a video, and then you can explore the site itself.

Porthcurno is also the home of many of the UK's international sub-sea telecomms cables. The Telegraph Museum tells the fascinating story of the dawn of the age of worldwide communications from the very first global network to the modern day web of fibre optic cables. There is a guided tour of the WWII comms bunker and some fascinating exhibitions.

We will arrive at Porthcurno at roughly midday. Each site can be explored in an hour so we plan to stop until 3-4pm (timing depending on numbers) to give everyone time to see everything. The beach has beautiful golden sand and azure sea so you could even go for a swim if the weather is nice.

Both the Minack and the Telegraph Museum have cafes with pasties and cream teas on the menu so you can get lunch at your leisure in whichever venue takes your fancy. If we split the group between the two venues that makes it easier for them both to cater, and you can eat at your own pace.

The majority of the group will park at the Telegraph Museum as that has the best vehicular access. The Minack is a short but steep climb up the side of the valley so for those who are unable to make this journey on foot, we will organise a limited number of cars to drive up to the Minack car park. The road is very narrow so we can't take 30 cars up there at once!

Cost should be no more than £20 for both venues and parking. We will organise group tickets for both once we have an idea of numbers.

From Porthcurno, we head East again towards Newlyn where we re-join the A30 and make our way to Marazion and St Michael's mount for a photo and ice-cream stop.

We'll stop here for 30 minutes or so before making our way back to the hotel for our evening meal and entertainment
Old 12th March 2019, 11:36 AM

Nice one MJ (or should I start using your new nickname?)

Put Jordan and I down for the larger car park, though I am a year older than last year's meet I will be able to do the walk. I might land up with Jordan pushing me a bit but if I cut down on the breakfast I'll be good.