A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 10th November 2014, 08:19 PM

Default Weird mirror behaviour

My passenger side mirror has started doing things with a mind of its own, everytine I get in the car the mirror glass is either fully out board or looking at the door.

I thought the missus had been messing about with it but it's doing it with her key too.

The motors and fixing seem to be ok as I can adjust it and it's not falling around just different every time we get in the car

Old 11th November 2014, 06:43 AM

That is very weird.

I'm not very good in troubleshooting, but since you have noticed it, was there a really bad weather in last few days with lots of heavy showers?? I know that they are pretty waterproof, but some things just give up one day.

Other thing I can suggest is I could send you my very good condition used mirror switch today via 1st class to see if it's not a mirror switch.
Just let me know and I will have it send ASAP

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 11th November 2014, 06:51 AM

My drivers side one moves sometimes to some weird position where I cannot see anything. Does it several times a week, result is I need to adjust the mirror down and inwards slightly.

Not sure of the why it happens, the memory is working fine 90% of the time. I've tried erasing the memories and starting again, and its the same. Passenger side never moves and always remembers the correct position if I move it myself manually.

I do wonder if something happened to the mechanism when I replaced the dimming external mirror glasses as I don't recall it doing it before.

No fault codes or anything logged, so will watch this to see if anyone comes up with anything.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 11th November 2014, 09:16 AM

I don't recall any bad weather, the symptoms you have mannyo sound very similar, I'm wondering if the is encoders in the mirror that's giving up the ghost.

I was going to try erasing the memory and resetting like you done but if it's not helped then I may just leave it.

Wife's out with the car but when's she's back I will go out and scan it and mess around to see if I can't come to some conclusion.

If I do need the switch Marcin I'll let you know, thanks man kind of you.

Old 11th November 2014, 12:22 PM

No problemo Del, just PM me as this way I will get instant message through my email and will get that posted to you. It's free to you

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 11th November 2014, 03:32 PM

Well a wee update, been sat in the car for over an hour messing with VCDS, there was no dtc's for door electrics or anything related to memory functions.

I then proceed to test the mirror using the mirror switch and with output tests in VCDS, again no issues found.

I then sat in the car, locked it while sat inside remembering to switch off tilt and interior sensors on the door first and waited for the car to go to sleep.

During this time I was waiting to see if the mirror would move to the stupid position, it didn't!

So getting lost for ways to test it, I unlocked the car and opened the door, Bingo. on opening the door that's when the mirror moved all the way in.

Thinking about it its on door open that the seats and mirrors move for memory functions anyway.

So I then messed about with various, door opening closing capers, ignition on/off etc along with the memory off switch on the door and it now seems like the fault has sorted it self out, FOR NOW......

Must have been something to do with the off switch on the door which I never normally touch.