A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 24th June 2014, 11:31 AM

Default My s8 de-catted itself !!!

I came to sell the old O/S cat for scrap along with some others i have to cash in, on trimming the pipes either side of the core, discovered there was no monolith inside !!! It has blown it away lol. I did drive it for quite a few months with that tell tell rattle but then it stopped. Only at the MOT did the problem raise itself as it failed on CO along with a catalyst code on VCDS...

Quite extreme and clean as a whistle on the inside !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00057-20140624-1215.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	8522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00058-20140624-1215.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	8523  
Old 24th June 2014, 11:59 AM

Amazingly smooth round self-decat
My S8 has some sort of rattle too I wonder if its the cats, I hope its not the release bearing or something transmission related.
Old 24th June 2014, 12:05 PM

I used to only notice it at lower speeds and on over run if popping the throttle - its quite subtle yet tinny metalic exhaust sound. You can get a mechanics stethoscope to help pin point it but id say the two sounds are quite different
Old 24th June 2014, 01:19 PM

Lol - reminds me of the cat on my BX16v which spat itself out over time! At night you could see bits of it glowing still when it hit the road surface behind me....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 24th June 2014, 06:18 PM

My S8 did the same thing whilst I was on my way to get some sports cats fitted. I was driving carefully up the M1. Going through a set of roadworks I had a Merc E-class coming flying behind and sit 10ft off my rear bumper. At the NSL sign I put my foot down, the car kicked down into 3rd and gained speed at a glacial pace, as the monolith was blocking the exhaust and causing huge back pressure. Then with an almighty clunk and rattle it spat the contents of one of the cats out the exhaust, showering the Merc with smoke and metallic particles, so thick you couldn't actually see his car through it. At which point the S8 shot off like a rat with a firework up its arse...
Old 24th June 2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffro View Post
My S8 did the same thing whilst I was on my way to get some sports cats fitted. I was driving carefully up the M1. Going through a set of roadworks I had a Merc E-class coming flying behind and sit 10ft off my rear bumper. At the NSL sign I put my foot down, the car kicked down into 3rd and gained speed at a glacial pace, as the monolith was blocking the exhaust and causing huge back pressure. Then with an almighty clunk and rattle it spat the contents of one of the cats out the exhaust, showering the Merc with smoke and metallic particles, so thick you couldn't actually see his car through it. At which point the S8 shot off like a rat with a firework up its arse...

Bah! Typical Merc drivers
Old 25th June 2014, 06:05 AM

Beauty of V8- if one side gets blocked you can still drive. Once I had catalyst brake down on Mondeo. Large chuck broke of it at the front of catalyst and turned sideways blocking exhaust flow. Car could not get above 25mph.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure