A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 22nd February 2016, 07:52 PM

Default aux water pump?

hi guys
after a bit of help with an annoying problem
just got a cheap part x'd a8 for my mrs as she wants an auto
everything works but there's a whirring from under the bonnet when the key is on 2nd click, even before the engine is started, and still there when it is
from what i've searched on here its the aux hot water pump?
question is can i just disconnect this and leave it, without any further problems occuring?
or do i have to replace it with another working pump?
i'd sooner just shut it up for now while she decides if its too big or not!
thanks in advance
Old 22nd February 2016, 08:10 PM

Yup, you can just disconnect it. I've had to do that on both my S8's.
Is yours PF or FL? Easier to do on PF.

Easiest way to check it's that is to turn the ignition off then press the "Rest" button which will fire it up.
(also a good way of testing that you've opened up the correct connector to disable it)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 22nd February 2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:02 PM

Sound thanks for that I'll have a bash at it tomorrow.
It's a facelift 2.8, she won't drive my old s8 because it just wants to go apparently
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:09 PM

OK, try tracing the wires back from the motor, you can just about see them with the bonnet open.
On my PF there were two connectors close by and disconnecting one of them did the job, very quick and easy.

On the FL I could only see one connector and it wasn't in the right circuit, so I traced the wires and cut (and sealed off properly) the relevant pair. Later, with the air intake plastic cover removed for another purpose (quick easy job) I spotted what appeared to be a connector just a bit further along the loom.

So, if you can't see the right connector take the air intake cover off too and look there, the connector may have moved slightly with the facelift. This assumes the 2.8 is similar to the 4.2 of course.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:05 AM

The connector for the pump is on the body of the motor right down at the bottom of the valve block. I'm not sure if you can get to it with everything in place or not as I just put mine back in with the electronics box out. I can have a look at lunchtime though.

The brown connector attached to the hose at the top of the block is for the heater valves btw so don't disconnect that
Old 24th February 2016, 10:23 AM

You can *just* get to it between the heater and the electronics box, but its very very tight. I doubt you'd be able to get it back on, should you want to, without pulling the electronics box. I'll post a photo later if I get a chance.
Old 24th February 2016, 03:54 PM

As noted above, I couldn't see/find the connector so cut the wires and insulated properly.
Easy enough to reconnect if required. Can't recall if I cut one or both TBH.

The visible connector is probably not the right one, but test it anyway, then check the one under the air intake cover for completeness.

Note that I'm talking about a connector mid-loom, I think there is also a plug direct onto the motor itself which may be what MJ is referring to.

Last edited by HPsauce; 24th February 2016 at 03:56 PM.