A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items

For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items For the personal sale of Vw/Audi parts, tools, vouchers, accessories, anything that isn't an actual car. Absolutely no commercial listings or breaking / bulk / repeated sale of parts or services.

Old 18th October 2016, 06:54 PM

Default Wanted: S8 D3 (5.2L V10) Exhaust Boxes (OEM)

Hi,

I'm currently looking for some original S8 rear boxes/middle box. Does anybody have any of these available?

Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 07:35 PM

I just swapped an S8 system onto my A8L (pics soon). It's too quiet, even with flaps open. I'm either going to remove the center cans or the front set (which came on the A8L). In fact, I came to this forum today to solicit opinions on which set to remove! When I ran it without any exhaust pipes from the front cans back (in other words with the fronts in place), it was ear-shatteringly loud even inside the car... so I'm leaning toward removing the middle (S8) cans. Only problems are that I'm in the US, and they seem to be quite heavy - they feel solid, like catalytic converters.

Coming to the Colonies any time soon?

-Tom
Old 18th October 2016, 07:57 PM

The middle boxes I believe are what ollie removed from his s8 and it sounds just right IMO not too loud but noticeabley nice.

Old 18th October 2016, 07:59 PM

Hi Tom, spoke to you the other day on the AudiWorld forums regarding our lean codes.

Do you have any videos of the S8 exhaust?

Did you mean you've tested it with the rear boxes (mufflers to you!) removed and it was too loud? I've seen a few videos on YouTube of these cars with the rear boxes removed but they all seem to sound different - I suppose it's hard to tell from a recording.

A few people also remove the X-pipe to change the sound (a bit like the C63 AMG), but I understand this will lose a little bit of power. See the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPjZhaoWDy8

I was planning to swap over to S8 rear boxes (with flaps stuck open) to start with, and maybe swap the middle box in future. Does it not sound noticeably different to the standard A8 setup?

Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 09:04 PM

Hi, I've a pair of S8 middle boxes in my garage, removed from mine a few months ago. There's a thread about it ( Back box delete) which has the details, including a short video clip

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 19th October 2016, 12:20 AM

Ollie removed the rear most silencers, almost under the rear passenger seats and then reconnected the flaps. Quiet when wafting around, and loud when you give it some beans.

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.
Old 19th October 2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post
Hi Tom, spoke to you the other day on the AudiWorld forums regarding our lean codes. Do you have any videos of the S8 exhaust?
Ha, didn't realize it was you! Small world! I have videos but the camera (phone) compensates too much. I'll try to get a better comparison soon.

Did you mean you've tested it with the rear boxes (mufflers to you!) removed and it was too loud?...
No, I drove it for a couple days with the entire exhaust system after the frontmost cans removed. I call them "cans" because they are perfectly cylindrical. The exhaust exited just below/between the front seats. And yes, it was far too loud; I'm surprised the front cans have any effect, probably affect the sound more with the back pressure from the factory system.
A few people also remove the X-pipe to change the sound (a bit like the C63 AMG), but I understand this will lose a little bit of power. See the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPjZhaoWDy8

I was planning to swap over to S8 rear boxes (with flaps stuck open) to start with, and maybe swap the middle box in future. Does it not sound noticeably different to the standard A8 setup?
Yes, but not as different than I hoped. I'm lucky enough to have two 2004 A8Ls for comparison, so I can attest that I'm not simply "getting used to" the louder car. The OE A8L had a center one-piece muffler, while the S8's system has two 14" long cylinders IIRC. Did your S8 setup come with a one-piece suitcase-shaped silencer?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Hi, I've a pair of S8 middle boxes in my garage, removed from mine a few months ago. There's a thread about it ( Back box delete) which has the details, including a short video clip
Great, now Matthew doesn't get to come visit our Idiocracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
Ollie removed the rear most silencers, almost under the rear passenger seats and then reconnected the flaps. Quiet when wafting around, and loud when you give it some beans.
That's what I want! That, and the rumbly idle!
Old 19th October 2016, 01:36 PM

As said, I've removed the pair of centre silencers closest to the rear before the back boxes and replaced with straight pipe as well as tying open the exhaust flaps on each back box. I couldn't believe how muted and quiet the S8 is as standard.

I can't speak for your car exactly but I had a full S8 exhaust system on my 3.7 V8 a few years back (also with a pair of silencers removed and flaps open) and this is what is sounded like on a cold start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDLEeHywdRo

With the V10 there's a nice quiet burble at idle, and the modification really makes a difference throughout the entire rev range but above 4,000rpm it's just orgasmic but it never drones, so I think I've found the right balance.

Location of the straight pipe looking from the rear forwards:
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 21st October 2016, 04:24 PM

Managed to get hold of a full cat-back S8 system locally today. Total cost: £50.

The only problem is the vacuum hose nipple has broken off one of the actuators for the flaps.

Not had chance to have a good look at it yet. By default (no vacuum applied), are the flaps open or closed? (ie - if I want the flaps to be open at all times do I need to apply constant vacuum or none at all?)

Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 04:27 PM

Closed by default, I have mine held open with a bit of copper wire