A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 20th December 2018, 09:54 PM

Default Anybody have front crank oil seal tools?

Hi,

My ongoing drip-drip oil leak from the front of my 4.2 FSi (BVJ) turned into a full-on Exxon Valdez spill this morning. I've ordered up a new front crank oil seal from Audi ahead of the weekend, when I'll be able to get her up on a lift to see where the leak is actually coming from, in the hope that the problem is this 'simple'.

It's been so minimal up until now that I've not been able to find the source of the leak, instead just putting up with it. I'm kind of hoping now that it's really bad I'll be able to see exactly where it's coming from. At £20 the front crank oil seal seems like a small investment worth making for now in case it sorts it.

I am of course worried that it's actually the upper sump which is leaking . . . . Full engine removal job. The rear crank oil seal was so brittle 2 years ago when I pulled the engine for timing chain work that I'm living in hope that the front one is the source of my issue. Ever the optimist. (I replaced the oil filter housing 'figure-of-eight' seal up top 2 years ago and the leak is on the driver's side rather than the passenger side - so I am assuming for now that this isn't the problem) (can't believe I didn't do the front seal at the time. Benefit of hindsight)

I'm wondering if anyone has the following tools available for borrow / rent. I'm happy to pay a returnable deposit on top as I know these are pretty expensive - T40019 & T40048 - I think these mean that the crank seal can be replaced with the radiator etc in situ. Otherwise it's full front end off to give access to gently hammer on using an appropriately sized socket etc.

See attached image of required tools.

Thanks all,

Gregor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tools T40019 T40048.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	20554  

2009 A8 4.2 FSi LWB - Marine Blue - 164k miles. Extras? Too many to list. But I do like the Rear Seat Entertainment . . . . . .

477k miles to the moon and back. 238k to go and between them they'll have made it!
Old 12th January 2019, 08:26 PM

Not to worry - the 30yr experienced Audi mechanic said just to use the old fashioned method of tapping it in with an appropriately sized socket. He said he 'thinks the dealership has those tools' but he's never used them

Anyway, turns out the front crank seal wasn't the source of my leak but I took the opportunity to replace it seeing as I had the whole front end off anyway. Fortunately didn't need to disconnect the air-con as there is just enough room to move the condenser to the side out of the way.

2 tiny O-rings mating the oil cooler to the block - that's what the problem was. The old O-rings were unbelievably brittle on removal and just broke apart. So, if you've got an oil leak from the driver's side which appears to be from the sump-to-block flange then perhaps consider these seals being the actual fault. Not sure which other engines have the oil cooler in this position. Alternator removal is a bit of a pig, be warned. Wouldn't like to do that without the access available with the front end off . . . .

The front end of the engine is now nice and clean too, at least. I also took the opportunity to replace the four cylinder head plugs up top. Just rubber bungs so these were also fairly brittle after 10 years. I saw another post on here where someone had actually had theirs pop out. Two of mine were edging their way outwards so I thought replacing them would be wise. Drilled a small hole, self tapping screw and pull.

Leak free for now. Apart from what must be a fuel leak - 11mpg around town
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_145306.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	20672   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_170538.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	20673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_093957.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	20674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_093944.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	20675  

2009 A8 4.2 FSi LWB - Marine Blue - 164k miles. Extras? Too many to list. But I do like the Rear Seat Entertainment . . . . . .

477k miles to the moon and back. 238k to go and between them they'll have made it!
Old 13th January 2019, 07:21 AM

Interesting and thanks for the update.
I had the same problem on my 3.0 TDI. Cooler looks pretty similar but is mounted on an oil cooler hosing which looks like a aluminium container ship with the cooler and oil filter housing mounted on it. It is in the VEE buried under everything but was just like you say, seals were ruined and brittle.
New seals were silly money for what they are, were yours?
Old 13th January 2019, 11:38 PM

The O-rings were fairly priced, by Audi dealership standards, at £1.64 each inc. What other choice do you really have when less than a fiver will get you back on the road?

The front crank seal was £23 which was a bit of a wallet dent though. Cheaper ones are available online but I prefer to go genuine for significant items like this.

I meant to say re the alternator removal - ELSA instructions don't say to remove the front end, radiator, fans etc but then they don't even say to put the lock carrier in the service position. There's no way the top alternator bolt can come out with everything in its original place. I can't accurately comment on whether service position would give enough space (as I had the opportunity just to remove everything and just did so) but I would seriously doubt it as the bolt fouled on the fan shroud with about 4-5cm to go. And that low down on the front end I just can't imagine that much space being gained from putting into service position.

Old 27th January 2019, 02:32 AM

Great! MY o-rings were £70-80, just oddly- shaped o-rings trapezoidal IIRC.