A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 3rd February 2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
This morning I indulged my cruise stalk with some serious "substance abuse" - well loads of WD40 and a good thrashing.
Tried this again even more brutally today and afterwards it all worked as it should (thoroughly tested, including resume ) for a while.

Then, after doing a speed increase it cut out and refused to do anything, even using the slider to turn it off and back on.
Luckily I was able to stop easily (advanced planning ) and turn the ignition off and on, after which it started behaving again.

So are there any further inputs or thought from anyone on these old/revised/renewed questions:

1. Has anyone experienced the CC system needing a reset of any sort after a glitch or have any idea why? (both why glitches and why reset)

2. Is there any way of taking apart the CC switch section without taking it off the car to investigate/adjust/clean the contacts?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th February 2013, 09:43 AM

Interestingly today it was behaving somewhat better.
Generally working, but occasionally use of "increase" would cause it to drop out, but pressing "set" would get it going again.

So, no need to turn the ignition off today.

However the two buttons are physically connected inside the switch (more like blocking each other as you can't operate both at the same time) so I suspect there's something slightly out of alignment inside there.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th February 2013, 11:13 AM

Mine does very similar things - I generally don't use increase/decrease functions as they're so slow to react anyway. If I want to change the set speed I just adjust as necessary and press set again.

I never have much opportunity to test in day to day use so it's only an infrequent annoyance for me so I've just lived with it as it is.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 21st July 2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Interestingly today it was behaving somewhat better.
Just a little update after having the car for about 6 months now.

I use the cruise control regularly and it now works about 98% with no further "abuse" required.
I think the previous owner(s) probably never did use it and as a result the switches were corroded/dirty. Regular use has presumably cleaned them up.

All functions now work 100% except the "increase" slider and "ignition resets" are never required now.
The "increase" function generally works as it should but just occasionally using it will turn off the cruise function, including forgetting the set speed.
But as Adrian E pointed out it's hardly difficult to use your right foot then press "set", which works 100% nowadays.