A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 7th August 2015, 11:44 AM

Default MMI Help...(what version am I?), Upgrades..

HI All,

I've just had my car in with the dealer and they're saying that i've the most up to date MMI version but reading through some posts here, i'm not so sure.

Would anybody mind having a quick look at the attached for me to see if I've the right version?

Many thanks.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6906.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	11546  
Old 7th August 2015, 11:50 AM

Its not the newest, I would advise caution however, lots of horror stories of parts getting bricked by failed updates.

If you have no reason other than wanting latest software I would be tempted to leave well alone.

Normally I am a fiddler and would be all over it but so far have resisted.

Plenty other have had no problems though.

No doubt someone will advise more that has experience of doing it.

Old 7th August 2015, 06:22 PM

You are running 3450 - 5570 is the latest.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....961-cd1-3.iso
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....961-cd2-3.iso
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....961-cd3-3.iso
Here are the ISO, but as said, download now and read up on the pitfalls first. Most of the time it works fine if you follow the instructions to the letter, but if not you can end up with a big bill.
Old 21st August 2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Its not the newest, I would advise caution however, lots of horror stories of parts getting bricked by failed updates.

If you have no reason other than wanting latest software I would be tempted to leave well alone.

Normally I am a fiddler and would be all over it but so far have resisted.

Plenty other have had no problems though.

No doubt someone will advise more that has experience of doing it.
I have upgraded 3 cars so far and not had any issues yet. Haven't checked my new one to see what version it's running yet.

Resonated Milltek

Dream car since selling Audis in 2006, finally a reality.
Old 25th August 2015, 02:52 PM

Most problems are caused by selecting bootloader in the menu (out of curiosity) or power supply problems. (Do it with charger plugged in or with engine running and don't turn off.)
Old 25th August 2015, 09:04 PM

I did mine with the engine running. From a very early version to the latest took several hours but it went through ok.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 1st February 2016, 06:53 PM

Default MMI updating ...

There are reported problems with updates causing corruption of one sort or another but like others elsewhere, I updated with the engine running, didn't touch anything and went from a very early version [0.8.90 - 0890] to 5510 using CD1 from the 5570 kit.

The one potentially irritating issue is that some of the devices [it's not clear which devices and what conditions cause it] are prone to incorrectly going in to 'Component Protection'. In my case the Bose AMP went into CP necessitating a trip to the local Audi dealer.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
You are running 3450 - 5570 is the latest.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....961-cd1-3.iso
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....961-cd2-3.iso
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....961-cd3-3.iso
Here are the ISO, but as said, download now and read up on the pitfalls first. Most of the time it works fine if you follow the instructions to the letter, but if not you can end up with a big bill.
HI there...can I ask, what is the main difference between the versions? So, difference between 3450 and 5570? Wondering is the benefit worth the hassle as such....thanks....
Old 27th April 2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandbuyer View Post
HI there...can I ask, what is the main difference between the versions? So, difference between 3450 and 5570? Wondering is the benefit worth the hassle as such....thanks....
A difficult question to answer as Audi have never made any information about level changes publicly available.

The MMI system consists of a 'control program' - the one that drives the buttons and the screen - that runs in the 'Control Head' [aka Interfacebox] which is ECU 07 in your car. It manages the devices on the optical MOST bus - the media ECUs - such as radio, navigation, CD, TV, Telephone.

An MMI update CD will update two separate aspects; it provides a new version of the control head program and will update any media ECUs with 'old' firmware [but not the Navbox in the boot - that's updated by Navigation DVDs]. The MMI system controlled by the buttons may provide new functions [and change the menu layout occasionally] and the media ECUs will have either faults fixed or new capabilities. None of this is documented; much of what is known is by experience only and often only subjective.

One real noticeable 'benefit' was the introduction in later versions of the ability to have 'birds eye' views of the Navigation map. This apparently needs MMI 3460 [not a typo] AND a Navigation DVD of 2007 or later. Have you got Navigation and if so, can you see 'birds eye' with your 3450 level? [3450 is not a common level on A8s].

Note that your level dates from 2006 and that the 5570 version dates from 2008 - so two years worth of changes.

If you list the ECU name and firmware levels of the Media ECUs in your car - get this from VCDS or by going through the MMI red 'software update' menu and noting the name and SW level 4 digit number - we'll be able to tell you what code is changed and possibly guess the consequences

Julian

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!

Last edited by JulianHicks; 27th April 2016 at 07:59 AM. Reason: correct dates