A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 11th January 2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47p2 View Post
Can you please confirm that all 3 relays are in the same location? do you mean under the steering column?
http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a8l...ons/page_1787/

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 11th January 2017, 05:16 PM

Relays are behind panel in front of drivers knees no need to remove it just take out screws at top and side then prise forward from the top. I've attached the drawings for removing the trim and another showing the relays.

Good luck let me know if it works for you.

In answer to the earlier question non of the relays show any pitting or burning of the contacts. I tested J53 & J695 before replacing them, both operated ok and had the correct resistance readings. I got both their location and used replacements from A8 Parts. In actuality I don't think there was anything wrong with them but at the time was unaware of J329. Because my manual is for LHD cars in search of the relays I stripped out every relay carrier from behind the glove box and under bonnet before finding the right one.

On J329 (370) again no pitting or burning on the contacts but signs of heat on the two terminals that carry power. One of the intermittent symptoms was a clicking like an old fashioned starter solenoid not having enough juice to kick in which may have been the relay coil breaking down.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Starter Relay Drawing.pdf (427.9 KB, 604 views)
File Type: pdf Left Trim Panel.pdf (5.1 KB, 450 views)
File Type: pdf Dash Panel End Trim.pdf (24.0 KB, 428 views)
File Type: pdf Right Trim Panel.pdf (62.1 KB, 439 views)

Bought at 9 months old - Ming Blue 2001 (51) 2.8 Quattro Sport with Sat Nav. 122,000 miles
Old 11th January 2017, 05:37 PM

Thanks, will update the thread once I do this

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 17th January 2017, 10:04 PM

I did this yesterday. I've been having some similar problems with my 4.2L petrol. Some mornings it takes a few minutes to start the car, turning the key just causes a single click in the engine bay. After a few minutes of turning the key the starter motor will finally spin and start the car.

To access the relays, the silver/grey dashboard trims should be removed - the short one to the right of the steering wheel, and the long one to the left that runs to the glovebox. Use a plastic trim removal tool, not a screwdriver - the previous owner of my car broke many of the trim clips and "fixed" them with Blu-tack. Removing these trim pieces will reveal some torx screws which need removing. You can then open the driver door, remove the fuse cover, and remove the last 2 torx screws behind this cover. The panel under the steering wheel can then be dropped down revealing the relays. The main starter relay is the grey 370 on the top-right.

I removed mine and it looked fine visibly, some slight burn marks to the pins but no signs of melted plastic. I cleaned the pins and refitted it, I'll see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by MatthewH; 17th January 2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 17th January 2017, 11:18 PM

Hi Mathew,

You have the correct relay i.e. grey 370. Mine showed no pitting of the contacts just some heat discolouration at the base of the large high voltage pins. For the sake of £14.75 + vat it's worth replacing. I was at a point where the car would not start and I'd have to wait an hour for the relay to cool down. I'm not an expert but guess the coil was breaking down.

Since being fixed I went into town 5 miles away and once in town started and stopped 5 times calling in at different stores and getting diesel. Car started every time no problem. Beforehand it was like playing roulette and I'd never get beyond three at the most.

Time will tell if it's fixed but it sure seems like it at the moment. Fingers crossed.

Good luck with yours. Peter

Bought at 9 months old - Ming Blue 2001 (51) 2.8 Quattro Sport with Sat Nav. 122,000 miles
Old 19th January 2017, 07:04 PM

Thanks Peter. I have purchased a replacement relay for £6.50 including delivery (aftermarket German-made replacement).

Since cleaning the pins on my relay earlier in the week, I've not had the starting problem at all. I think this is just a coincidence as it seems to go in phases - it'll fail to start every morning for weeks and then it'll work fine for a few days.

I'll post an update when I've fitted my replacement - if it all works correctly I'll post the part number of the aftermarket relay I purchased.
Old 23rd January 2017, 03:29 PM

Just one last thought. Before changing the relays check your alternator output, battery condition and if a no start try jump leads. After enjoying the euphoria of stopping and starting with impunity I had two fail to starts on the same afternoon last week. The first recovered itself in 10 mins and for the second I called the breakdown service. Each occasion had been preceded by sitting waiting for about 45 mins with the radio on i.e. 2 x 45 min waits over three hours. The battery and alternator were new last year and the battery condition was showing 100% on the MMI - but with jump leads from the breakdown truck it fired up straight away. It's been ok since but for the time being carrying a spare battery and jump leads just in case.

Old 23rd January 2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpoleman View Post
Just one last thought. Before changing the relays check your alternator output, battery condition and if a no start try jump leads. After enjoying the euphoria of stopping and starting with impunity I had two fail to starts on the same afternoon last week. The first recovered itself in 10 mins and for the second I called the breakdown service. Each occasion had been preceded by sitting waiting for about 45 mins with the radio on i.e. 2 x 45 min waits over three hours. The battery and alternator were new last year and the battery condition was showing 100% on the MMI - but with jump leads from the breakdown truck it fired up straight away. It's been ok since but for the time being carrying a spare battery and jump leads just in case.
Hi Peter,

Yes, that's something I have also noticed (starts first time with jump starts), although I wasn't sure if it was just a coincidence.

I think my battery may also be at fault. It's only 12 months old but resting voltage is around 11.5V after leaving it overnight. It just seems strange that it does eventually start after 5 minutes of turning the key back and forward.

My replacement relay arrived today so I'll fit that and see how it goes. Planning to book my car into Halfords for a free battery load test to prove the battery is bad - if this is the case I can replace it under warranty.
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:32 PM

I had an A6 that knocked out 3 batteries in about 5 years. There was a constant low power drain on the battery but Audi never found out what caused it. Don't now know if this is something similar again?

Old 31st August 2017, 04:26 PM

Here we are again not yet fixed despite all the (false) hopes.

To recap replaced Entry & Start Authorisation (J518), Ignition Switch plus battery and recode (Audi refused to recode J518 because non VW battery (Jun 16), Starter Relays J329 (370), J53 & J695 (both 381) Jan 17, Energy management Control Unit (J644) Apr 17, another battery (May 17). My garage say battery faulty Audi say battery ok.

Been limping along with spare battery and jump leads in the boot. Also on a no start (in a petrol station) turned ignition off and on continuously did manage to start. Fault has now become more prominent and jump leads not doing it. Had a couple of occasions on very hot days when wouldn't start from cold.

Away from home this last weekend. Very hot weather outbound journey no start after a pit stop jump start no good kept trying and started. Next day very hot car parked with front facing sun all day would not start at all until the evening when cooler. Moved the car into shade for next morning to come home started ok drove home 4 hours non stop. At home tried an immediate restart no joy.

Given that the front of the car was in the sun all day could this be more electronic rather than electro-mechanical maybe the Engine Control Unit, Electronics Box or Power Relay J271 all located in the plenum chamber?

Any help will be gratefully received. Thank you.

Last edited by woodpoleman; 31st August 2017 at 05:58 PM.