A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 22nd August 2013, 08:51 PM

Thumbs up

I've just used these guys

http://www.brake-caliper-painting.com/

Really nice guys.

Will be refitting them this weekend. See my other thread.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6683

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:58 PM

I had a set done for the wife's car a few years ago by the factors, was a 48 hour turnaround for old caliper off and fixed.. what's wrong, could be a driveway repair though.

I know.. I know..

Old 23rd August 2013, 12:31 PM

Sucks, doesn't it? BMW promise to get any part for any of their cars as a commitment to keeping the older models on the road, even if the company that makes that part no longer exists; they have all the blueprints in Munich and will commission another company to make them up. I'm sure Porsche and Mercedes are similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Cheers Amar, unfortunately most of what I want is no longer made by Citroen/available, or at least the UK dealers claim it's NLA anyway.....bit like Audi in that their parts supply for older models is a bit pants (ours dates from '88)

Can't even buy a pair of front fogs for a BX 16V
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 23rd August 2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Sucks, doesn't it? BMW promise to get any part for any of their cars as a commitment to keeping the older models on the road, even if the company that makes that part no longer exists; they have all the blueprints in Munich and will commission another company to make them up. I'm sure Porsche and Mercedes are similar.
Yes Mercedes will get just about any part for any older model. I restored a 190SL about ten years ago the engine had thown a con rod through the block. Not a problem for Mercedes they built me a full brand new engine from parts held in stock. They also supplied a pair of rear wings and a complete boot floor, for less than it would have cost to repair the existing rotten parts. They also supplied a friend of mine with air suspension units and a new steering box for his 600 pullman.

it's a shame Audi aren't so keen on supporting their older cars with a few parts. I had to wait almost six months to get an ECU for our V8 4.2. My 200 Quattro Avant is still awaiting a few parts. I'm having to import them from Brazil and Mexico, it shouldn't really be like this should it
Old 25th August 2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Andy at A4 Audi had left it until the last minute, despite my car having been in for the better part of 2 weeks, so I made my displeasure known. So I'm getting them 'at cost' to him.

It's no wonder that parts are so expensive: the manufacturer makes a profit; the motor factor makes a profit; and the garage makes a profit!

I'll try to get the old calipers back for a refurb job.
You're not the only one having issues with A4 Audi.

http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105605
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 25th August 2013, 08:52 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Jim,
I have a spare set of S8 FL Brembos you can borrow. Came of when my B7 ZRS4 Brembos were fitted. I'll need them back to fit my winter wheels but your welcome to borrow them if you need them.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:51 PM

Wonder if Andy's letting things get too big and he's losing control over the quality if the r246 post and Jim's experience is anything to go by.

Given the number of cars that go through the place now, it's hardly surprising that they'll get the odd screwup.

I know.. I know..

Old 26th August 2013, 07:16 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Jim,
I have a spare set of S8 FL Brembos you can borrow. Came of when my B7 ZRS4 Brembos were fitted. I'll need them back to fit my winter wheels but your welcome to borrow them if you need them.
Thanks Mike, but I'm now driving around in a nice Toyota Aygo (should be called a Toyota I don't go) whilst I wait for the new calipers to be delivered. So I expect that by the time you got yours here, the new ones will only be a day or two behind them.

I'm also going to send the link for reconditioning and see about getting that done instead of new ones.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 26th August 2013, 05:20 PM

Are these Bolt on? Except for new RS4 Discs ofcourse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
why not take this opportunity to upgrade to RS4 front calipers?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Rs4-B...item4ac82c6dfd
1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 14th September 2013, 06:34 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default Worth the wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Thanks Mike, but I'm now driving around in a nice Toyota Aygo (should be called a Toyota I don't go) whilst I wait for the new calipers to be delivered. So I expect that by the time you got yours here, the new ones will only be a day or two behind them.

I'm also going to send the link for reconditioning and see about getting that done instead of new ones.
Well, over 2 weeks later, my calipers arrived back home. The plan now is to to take the train on Monday to A4 Audi, drop off the calipers, continue to work (another train and a bus) and pick up the car (remember the car?) on the way home.

Must say the calipers do look nice, although there are one or two tiny runs on the paint (probably a result of me getting them to pull their finger out and rush them back).

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calipers September 2013 005.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	6665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calipers September 2013 004.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	6666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calipers September 2013 006.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	6667  
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).