A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 23rd February 2012, 06:41 PM

These?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I'd be looking at Porsche rims myself - mate had a vw van for work and put cayenne rims on it as theyre the right offset for that application. If they would work size wise I think they'd look ace and keep the Porsche link to the rs2

20s will be too big on an rs2 - I can see them being a struggle to find tyres to get the rolling radius you need going up from standard

All IMHO of course lol

Wish I faced a dilemma like that!!

Been looking at that pic and I think I might agree... 20" are to big for that motor. Maybe 18"?
Really not interested in Porsche wheels though. Just not me.
'72 Mini Pick up Supercharged 1380
'03 S4 Avant

Last edited by E.L.M.O; 23rd February 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:29 PM

IMO Audi have lost direction with the latest RS Models.

The RS2 must be one of the real Classic...Iconic vehicles Audi have ever
produced ..... Like the S1 etc It is very receptive to modding on the
Power side of things.... I personally would find it difficult to do
major Cosmetic Mods on a vehicle that already gives one Goosbumps on
the testees.....

http://www.bufkinengineering.com/Umluft.htm

I also feel that anything but the Porsche Rims retracts from the whole
Design package.....

Would I Sell the S or the Cab for an RS2 ????... Prolly not..... But I will add an
RS 2 to the Garage at the right time.....

Good Luck with Ur Search and I hope you realize your Dream soon ... *envy*

" Love the Sound of a V8....... All Day " *still wish it was a V10*

2002 S8 D2 F/L
H & R Springs, Koni Coil Overs, Dastek Chip, Sport Exhaust, 19" S5 Rims, Solar Sun Roof (Cause we have Sun) and most of the Bells & Whistles.
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:49 PM

I agree that the new RS models aren't as appealing. I'd take a brand new TDI over a new RS happily. But a classic RS like the RS2? YES PLEASE!

[[/i]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyole View Post
IMO Audi have lost direction with the latest RS Models.

The RS2 must be one of the real Classic...Iconic vehicles Audi have ever
produced ..... Like the S1 etc It is very receptive to modding on the
Power side of things.... I personally would find it difficult to do
major Cosmetic Mods on a vehicle that already gives one Goosbumps on
the testees.....

http://www.bufkinengineering.com/Umluft.htm

I also feel that anything but the Porsche Rims retracts from the whole
Design package.....

Would I Sell the S or the Cab for an RS2 ???... Prolly not..... But I will add an
RS 2 to the Garage at the right time.....

Good Luck with Ur Search and I hope you realize your Dream soon ... *envy*
I know what your saying, but nothing I do would be "un-do'able"

And thanks, but remember the affordability of this has come about from having the house broken into while I was asleep, and a failed attempt at getting married. Id take marrying the girl of my dreams as planned over the RS2 (and I'm aware some of you nay have to think twice if given the choice girl or car!)
'03 S4 Avant

Last edited by E.L.M.O; 23rd February 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:06 PM

Vinyl wraps are a bad idea. It's not just the length of time it's left on the car - a few micro blisters will call for a new paint job even if the vinyl is removed a month later. The vinyl adhesive will lift the paint, at any weak point - blister, minute scratch etc.

Not a fan of the matte look. The RS2 has quite a few curves that are emphasised by shiny paint. Matte or satin hides the curves, making the car look rather flat and uninteresting. Shine makes curves stand out. This is why Alpine White or Silver Ur quattros look like regular Coupes from certain angles - the flares don't stand out, unlike the effect Tornado Red, Panther Black, Lago Blue and Titan Red give.

As for wheels - not many that look good on the RS2, or indeed the rest of the B4 range. They need a dish to match the wide and low look. Porsche Cups or other similar oldskool wheels, in sixes up to 19", though I honestly feel 18" is the max before handling suffers. Going to 20" flat-faced wheels and maintaining a wide look is virtually impossible. Factory width is 7,0" on a 17" diameter. Going to 18" you'll need a width of between 8,0" and 8,5" to maintain that look.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.

Last edited by Nollywood; 23rd February 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
Vinyl wraps are a bad idea. It's not just the length of time it's left on the car - a few micro blisters will call for a new paint job even if the vinyl is removed a month later. The vinyl adhesive will lift the paint, at any weak point - blister, minute scratch etc.

Not a fan of the matte look. The RS2 has quite a few curves that are emphasised by shiny paint. Matte or satin hides the curves, making the car look rather flat and uninteresting. Shine makes curves stand out. This is why Alpine White or Silver Ur quattros look like regular Coupes from certain angles - the flares don't stand out, unlike the effect Tornado Red, Panther Black, Lago Blue and Titan Red give.

As for wheels - not many that look good on the RS2, or indeed the rest of the B4 range. They need a dish to match the wide and low look. Porsche Cups or other similar oldskool wheels, in sixes up to 19", though I honestly feel 18" is the max before handling suffers. Going to 20" flat-faced wheels and maintaining a wide look is virtually impossible. Factory width is 7,0" on a 17" diameter. Going to 18" you'll need a width of between 8,0" and 8,5" to maintain that look.
I take on board what you say but dont totally agree with everything.
for example Amars old D2 had 20" final edition wheels on it and that looked very low and wide!

Havent decided on the matte grey wrap, i may change my mind. pretty sure it will be either a wrap or a custom paint job though
'03 S4 Avant
Old 24th February 2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.M.O View Post
Amars old D2 had 20" final edition wheels on it and that looked very low and wide!
Yes, with the emphasis on D2. The D2 was designed around large diameter wheels, and the non-dished look suits it best. The RS2 was designed around smaller diameter dished wheels.

I was fortunate enough to own a Polar Silver RS2, and I can state from experience, the RS2 is extremely sensitive to wheel offset, size and rubber. The recommended tyre make was Dunlop. I briefly had Michelin Pilots fitted all round, and the handling suffered. It just wasn't right. I switched back to Dunlop SP8000, (made specifically for the RS2 by Dunlop) and it was business as usual. The RS2 suspension is quite firm, firmer than an RS4's, so any changes made to the regular footprint are immediately apparent.

D2 with 20" wheels is very different to an RS2 with the same.

2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 24th February 2012, 02:57 PM

You have a point. I think trial and error will be the way to go in terms of looks and handling
'03 S4 Avant
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:31 PM

Hey all, sorry its been a while. ive had a fair amount going on. ive been busy not getting married. Long story, dont worry.

Anyway, i very much need something to cheer myself up.
im still traslly interested in an RS2, but the S4 (B6) has caught my eye! Id love to keep with the V8 and would love to go manual!

Thoughts?
'03 S4 Avant
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:53 AM

In my honest opinion, I would go for the RS2 anyday. The B6 S4 motor (BBK) is not one of Audi's most durable V8 engines. Failures have been well documented, a search will reveal a lot.

The RS2 on the other hand - well, I wish I hadn't sold mine. It's a fantastic car, handles great. It sort of reminds me of my old Beemer E30 M3. A car pretty much bred for the track, uncompromisingly firm for some, but just right for the true enthusiast.