A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 27th March 2016, 04:26 PM

Default Back box delete

The tails on my S8 exhaust are shabby and I think they let the car down slightly. I've looked at a Miltek replacement and think it's daft money and I don't like how the tailpipes protrude further than the standard pipes, but that's just my personal opinion.

I've spoken to my local Powerflow centre and been quoted £350 for new quad tailpipes (of my choice) and deletion of the back boxes, which I think is decent if the tailpipes look how I want them to look.

My question is, anyone done it or see any reason why I shouldn't? I'd obviously keep the existing rear sections to return it to standard if required but I'm interested in the opinions of others before I make a decision

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 27th March 2016, 04:47 PM

if they are black with carbon it can be cleaned up with wire wool and solvol auto sol

Old 27th March 2016, 04:58 PM

I've tried that Del but the chrome finish is flat and left long enough they get rust spots so I've given up on trying to make them look good, I need to find an alternative

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 27th March 2016, 05:25 PM

Weird I thought they were stainless steel

Old 27th March 2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Weird I thought they were stainless steel
The rust spots on mine would suggest they aren't

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 27th March 2016, 07:33 PM

The price is about right. I work in a Powerflow/Longlife exhaust place. Asking to keep your existing boxes shouldn't be a problem at all, just mention it when you turn up. We would normally wrap them up and put them in the boot for you if you mentioned you wanted to keep hold of them. If you do find the noise a bit too much then they should have no issue putting either your standard boxes in if they're in good condition, or if not, fitting two small stainless ones in to take some of the tone away.

The other option would of course be just change the tips. Get them cut off and new stainless ones welded on. I'd expect to pay about £80-£100 per side for this depending on which tip you decide on.
Old 27th March 2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm147 View Post
The price is about right. I work in a Powerflow/Longlife exhaust place. Asking to keep your existing boxes shouldn't be a problem at all, just mention it when you turn up. We would normally wrap them up and put them in the boot for you if you mentioned you wanted to keep hold of them. If you do find the noise a bit too much then they should have no issue putting either your standard boxes in if they're in good condition, or if not, fitting two small stainless ones in to take some of the tone away.

The other option would of course be just change the tips. Get them cut off and new stainless ones welded on. I'd expect to pay about £80-£100 per side for this depending on which tip you decide on.
Great info mate, thanks very much. I had a Longlife exhaust fitted to my S4 and thought it was a great bit of work. They even paid my fuel bill when I requested an alteration a while later, great service

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 6th April 2016, 09:53 PM

I drove an e39 m5 with back boxes deleted, and it was fine round town and cruising but it growled and left a massive smile on my face when I had my foot planted
Old 12th April 2016, 05:11 AM

My 4.0 TDI has backbox delete on it - wasn't my choice as was like it when I bought it but I do really like it. Cruising down the road you'd not know the difference, there is no intrusive noise to it at all, but makes a lovely V8 noise with the application of throttle.
Old 12th April 2016, 08:25 AM

Cheers Artermis, and welcome to the forum from me

I was considering it but had a good look at the exhaust layout last week and it's quite a design. I don't want to make a drastic change that I maybe won't like and which would cost me a fortune to reverse. The rumble from the standard exhaust as I accelerate and the "tune" from the revving V10 is awesome, so I don't want to lose that. A Miltek is a step too far for me but a subtle upgrade to the standard exhaust maybe isn't, I'm still undecided.

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra