A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 11th January 2021, 12:34 PM

That's kind of on the borders of some nice bits of Bristol, and there's a lot of similar old school sites like that around that area due to the victorian explosion in building in that area. I guess chosen for the proximity to where the PO lived than any basic capability? From memory he was in Redland/Whiteladies Road area?

If the PO saw that bodgery I suspect he'd be equally pee'd off that he'd spent good money on work that was done to such a poor standard. For most folks if you can't see it, you'd have no way of knowing.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 11th January 2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Got to be a tight squeeze to get an A8 in there.

4.9 star rating on Google from 16 reviews!

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th January 2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Kersteman Garage in Bristol, which if you google Streetview it appears to literally be a lockup-garage. Ironically, I have every receipt from when the car was 1 year old, so I can accurately date all the bodges and hacks and know how much it cost to do the damage
Not heard of them fortunately. I expect they may have known the owner or been recommended, who knows. There are so many garages in Bristol to choose from.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 11th January 2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Wow, how can these people even go to bed at night knowing they've messed something up this bad? I could not live with myself if I did that!
Unfortunately there are people who call themselves mechanics....I see it all too often in the glorious world of forklifts.

I've had to sack 'engineers' over the years for repairing machines in a similar manner - best one was an "engineer" doing an engine rebuild on a Nissan 2.3 diesel engine (aluminum head). He was standing in the engine bay 'torqueing' down the head with a 1/2" drive impact gun......left my employment about 2 hours later

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 12th January 2021, 10:47 AM

Got the engine and gearbox split and the engine mounted on the stand. Grot everywhere.

Bugger The cross-threaded bolt has cracked the block. I'm not sure if this can be repaired or not at the moment. If it can be welded in place then it might be possible, but I think hypereutectic alloys have some odd requirements for welding.

If it can't be repaired then I will get another engine out of stock and put that in instead, but I'm carrying on cleaning it up at the moment

I think, if it does go back in, its going to need a bit of an Italian tune-up to clear the pipes a bit

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	155.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	25127   Click image for larger version

Name:	156.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	25128   Click image for larger version

Name:	157.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	25129   Click image for larger version

Name:	158.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	25130   Click image for larger version

Name:	159.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	25131   Click image for larger version

Name:	160.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	25132   Click image for larger version

Name:	161.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	25133   Click image for larger version

Name:	162.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	25134   Click image for larger version

Name:	163.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	25135  
Old 12th January 2021, 08:21 PM
Banned

that is ridiculous! I thought my 2,8QS was bodged because parking sensor connector was held with a zip tie, this is something else!
Old 12th January 2021, 09:52 PM

Lets call him 'Mr Anti-Midas' and assume he's been everywhere and touched everything. At this point I see his work, sigh, and carry on. I'm going to point out just two more of his little touches, and then stop so the thread gets a bit more positive

I continued stripping and cleaning the engine tonight. I took the unusual step of removing the injector rail on this one because all the inlet manifold bolts are rusty and full of crud, and the injector rail is in the way of getting a tool straight on to them. These are too bad to risk a slightly off-square allen key, plus the manifold needs sandblasting and repainting anyway.

The vacuum manifold system was disconnected when the actuator pods broke rather than fixing it

Lots of schmutz round the base of the manifold, and this is after cleaning!

a little grubby inside, but I can clean this when it comes apart

I turned the engine over and took the inlet manifold off with it upside down

to make sure none of this grit and tar fell in to the inlet ports

I cleaned it upside down too, lying on the floor. You have to pay extra for this

Final Mr Anti-Midas touch - the guide pins always break when the manifold comes off, so he drilled them and held them back in place with small nails. Inventive, but sadly pointless as they are readily available and very cheap

Usual muck in the valley. I forgot to get an after pic, but its all nice and clean now

Condensation aside, the engine is remarkably clean inside for a quarter of a million miles, and the chain tensioners are barely worn. This engine was fitted when the car was on 200K and the engine was about 127K. The car now has 320K making the engine 247K ish. For most of 2020 the car lived in the workshop, and had to be moved in and out frequently, doing about 50 yard journeys. As a consequence, the engine is full of condensation and the oil is quite brown, but this will all evaporate when it gets running again and has an Italian tune-up. The colour inside and total lack of sludge indicates that at least it has had regular good-quality oil changes, and has done lots of nice long journeys.

It wipes clean and is in excellent condition under the coating of light mayo

Ew! Normally this would be indicative of very bad things, but I know exactly why it like this so I'm not concerned

Also this evening Mike and I contrived a plan to repair the broken engine mount boss, without welding it. My tig guy is a trained and coded welder and even he isn't sure what would happen welding the hypereutectic Alusil engine block, so we're not going to. Since the engine hasn't fallen out in the last 120K miles, the remaining two bolts can apparently take the dynamic loads generated in this area so rather than risk damaging an otherwise good engine by welding it we have a mechanical solution instead. Its going to involve some custom tooling, and a custom repair piece to re-form the thread. More on that as it develops
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	164.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	25136   Click image for larger version

Name:	165.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	25137   Click image for larger version

Name:	166.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	25138   Click image for larger version

Name:	167.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	25139   Click image for larger version

Name:	168.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	25140   Click image for larger version

Name:	169.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	25141   Click image for larger version

Name:	170.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	25142   Click image for larger version

Name:	171.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	25143   Click image for larger version

Name:	172.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	25144   Click image for larger version

Name:	173.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	25145  

Name:	174.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	25146   Click image for larger version

Name:	175.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	25147  
Old 12th January 2021, 10:00 PM

Default Two new words in one day!

Now, that doesn't happen very often with me - the first one today was Apricity (to describe today's lovely weather in Manchester..), which I though was quite a good one - but Hypereutectic is even an even better one! Day off tomorrow now

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 13th January 2021, 06:16 PM
Banned

Home come the inlet manifold of V8's is metal, and plastic on 2,8?
Old 13th January 2021, 07:24 PM

Cost I would expect. The V6 went in cheaper models and so given the larger volumes it would have been cost effective to tool up for injection moulding, plus the port length changeover is a much simpler mechanism. That might not have been practical in plastic for the V8.